How do I get my 6 and 9 year old to just go to bed???!!!

firgie

Asked by firgie at 6:25 PM on Sep. 8, 2010 in General Parenting

• By putting them to bed. and sending them back to bed if they get up. and not allowing any nonsense at bedtime.
    justnancyb

Answer by justnancyb at 6:26 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• Send them there...Bed times are routine and if you have been laxed by this age they know how to push your buttons. I have three kids 2,5 and 7. Bedtimes are pretty simple here. On occasion they may get up but never more than 3 times unless they are sick or something is actually wrong. Have bedtimes always been hard or is this new? Have you considered taking things away if you sternly tell them to go to bed and they do not?
    hill2

Answer by hill2 at 6:28 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• I agree with the first poster, that's how to do it! I have 6 - and all of them would delay bedtime if I allowed it!
    yoliplus6

Answer by yoliplus6 at 6:29 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• You take them in there, read a story, or not, and turn out the light and make them go to bed. If they don't then they stand at the wall until they are too tired and learn that when you say it's bedtime, it's bedtime... Now go be the parent, and make them respect your authority!!
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 6:31 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• By sending them to bed - and having consequences if they don't do what they're told.
    caseyandkids

Answer by caseyandkids at 6:50 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• make a routine the same everyday so they knwo they have to stay their and its time to sleep and make sure you are consistant. if they get up their bed make sure you take them back and let them know its time for bed and they have to go to bed. the first couple of times might not work out as fast as you would like but soon they will get used to it adn do it on their own just make sure you are persistant adn you make them go back to bed good luck hope it works out
    Alejandra10

Answer by Alejandra10 at 7:50 PM on Sep. 8, 2010