when did your child realize you were a person too?

my husband works 40+hrs a week. i work on the weekends. on the weekends, while i'm at work, my husband usually takes our son over to his grandfather's place. his grandfather is in his 60s and in good health, btw. he raised my husband. so our son spends saturday with him, comes home, then on sunday they normally all go out to dinner. of course, if i have off, i'm invited to and everything. but i'm so stressed bc i feel like i never get a day off. my husband at least gets saturday off but i'm at work! and my son is two so obviously he's needy and clingy. i don't expect him to be anything else, he's a toddler, but when did your kids start to let up, just a little. i just want one day where i can sit my son down and be like, 'mommy is not a jungle gym.' or 'mommy is sitting down for her lunch. you can have more juice when i'm done.'

erinwhitt

Asked by erinwhitt at 6:44 PM on Sep. 8, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Sorry to burst your bubble but mine are 17, 16 and 11 and I still don't know if they get it. They try but I don't think it has really sank in.
    Cindy18

Answer by Cindy18 at 6:47 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• mines 8 and is yet to realize that I'm also a person- we have the conversation often too, but it just doesn't click- if you figure something out let me know!!
    skittles1108

Answer by skittles1108 at 6:51 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• i guess no one really gets it until they have kids of their own. i dont know, though. when i was a teenager, i knew my parents needed their own time and space and that they weren't my personal servants.
    erinwhitt

Comment by erinwhitt (original poster) at 6:52 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• I don't think they ever do,...sadly......mine are over 35 . And they still don't get it. You would think they would since having their own children,wouldn't you?
    gertie41

Answer by gertie41 at 6:55 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• I know what you mean, I'll let you know if I ever find out
    Liz132

Answer by Liz132 at 7:05 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• Right about 3, she started understanding that I wasn't merely there to meet her needs
    ihatetocook

Answer by ihatetocook at 7:14 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• my son is almost 3 and he's starting to understand that I have feelings and needs as well. Most the time if he's really being rotten to me I tell him he's hurting my feelings and I honestly think he feels remorse for hurting me. He immediately apologizes and gives me a hug. hang in there!
    CrnchyMamaCraig

Answer by CrnchyMamaCraig at 11:53 PM on Sep. 8, 2010