The jewish faith???

People alway make it sound like Jewish is like a Nationality, and not a religion. Tell me, Is it like being German or African? Or is it like being Catholic?
I have been watching things on tv about jewish history/Religous and Nazi.

Asked by louise2 at 6:46 PM on Sep. 8, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• It's actually both. The religious aspect of it obvioulsy as followers of Judaism, and the ethnic or nationality of it as being descendants of hebrews.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 6:51 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• Jewish refers to a religion and an ethnicity
    ihatetocook

Answer by ihatetocook at 7:07 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• Judaism is indeed an ethnicity ... it is most certainly an ethnic identity. Yes, we do have religious practices ... because Judaism is a religion .. but it is absolutely so much more.
    ihatetocook

Answer by ihatetocook at 3:50 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• It is a religion and a culture, not an ethnicity. If it is an ethnicity, how could someone convert and become Jewish? I believe the idea of us being a specific ethnic group arises because there are genetic diseases that are prevalent among many Eastern European Jews, like Gauche Disease and Taye Sachs.

We have religious practices which have become part of our culture. Hebrew is the language of our religion and the State of Israel, not the name we call ourselves.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 8:24 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• Jewish is a race and a religion. You are born a Jew if your mother is Jewish. You can convert to Judaism but only to the religious aspect of it I strongly suggest you get an education
    SophiaofLight

Answer by SophiaofLight at 4:01 PM on Oct. 2, 2010

• There is DNA testing to see if people are of the Hebrew bloodline. Some Ethiopians are Hebrew by blood as are other people around the world. Jewish is the religion.
    SophiaofLight

Answer by SophiaofLight at 4:03 PM on Oct. 2, 2010

• ~*Smiles*~.. it is a religion, but mainly among a specific race of poeple... and yes, if you state you are "Jewish", or having children with a "Jewish" person... OBGYN will do certain testing because it is mainly if not only in that group of people. Much like how Scicle Cell (however it is spelled) runs in African Americans. But they are Hebrew people, Jewish is the religion
    MommaClark3

Answer by MommaClark3 at 6:53 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• Funny story that relates. My father a Jewish convert to Christianity. I was raised Christian. However, ethnically, I still consider myself Jewish. I would tell people in high school that I was half Jewish, because to me, it was cool. There was a guy that I liked. He wanted to ask me out, but never did. After almost 2 years, I finally found out why. He thought I was Jewish religion-wise as well, and knew that Friday night is the beginning of Jewish Sabbath, and that I probably wouldn't be able to go on a date. For him, Saturday night was out because he had church early Sunday morning. The fact that we were in the same religion class (for members of our church) didn't seem to cross his mind. I am a Jewish Christian... that still confuses the heck out of some people.
    Reenieredhead

Answer by Reenieredhead at 9:07 PM on Oct. 24, 2010