14 month old isn't walking...

My son took his first few steps on his own right before his birthday. That was over two months ago and he still won't take more than 4 or 5 steps at a time. He's small for his age, but hit all his other milestones early. He was creeping around furnature at 6 months.
Could something be wong with his balance or something?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:07 PM on Oct. 14, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My daughter was walking about 2-5 steps by herself until 2 weeks ago... She now is 15months and we cant stop her anymore. haha

some learn it earlier, some later. from one day to another she just stood up and walked by herself
    m.robertson811

Answer by m.robertson811 at 5:18 PM on Oct. 14, 2008

• They will not be concerned until he is 18months. Tyler my son is going on 15months this month and still is not walking. He is probably just scarred to do it.
    jessicamelia83

Answer by jessicamelia83 at 5:11 PM on Oct. 14, 2008

• I would not worry unless the doc says to be worried. I was in child care and saw this a lot. It is not all that uncommon. Parents naturally worried, but they saw their little one progressively catch up to other kids their age.
    LovinEveryDay

Answer by LovinEveryDay at 5:29 PM on Oct. 14, 2008

• Something I did with my daughter, when she was able to hold my hand and balance and somewhat walk, was I went for walks with her all the time. In the mall, in my house, around the yard. We practiced walking constantly. It strengthened her legs, and then she was able to walk on her own.
    yetti26

Answer by yetti26 at 5:56 PM on Oct. 14, 2008

• Yeah, they don't even get concerned until 18 months. My daughter JUST started walking last week, and she's over 16 months old. Your little one will walk when he needs/wants to. Hang in there...it'll happen! :)
    StarLee

Answer by StarLee at 6:10 PM on Oct. 14, 2008

• Thanks everyone! You've all been very reassuring!!!

MAUREEN55

Answer by MAUREEN55 at 7:18 PM on Oct. 14, 2008

• My girls walked at 15 and 17 months. It takes alot of guts to walk very far w/o assistance.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 7:31 PM on Oct. 14, 2008