I have full custody of my niece are we able to change her last name?

We are wanting to adopt her because her mother signed away her rights but I was just wandering if we can change her last name before we adopt?

MomTo1AdorableB

Asked by MomTo1AdorableB at 5:11 PM on Oct. 14, 2008 in Adoption

• You have to wait until you adopt her. You can change whatever you want to about her name then.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 5:29 PM on Oct. 14, 2008

• where are the other answers??
    Anonymous

• oh sorry I was looking at a different question. sorry. forget me. lol
    Anonymous

• Why do you want to? You are doing an amazing thing by giving her a family and a loving home...but everyone has a right to know who they are and her last name is her birth right even if her parent or parents are not the most responsible people on earth. I look at it like this, my ex husband has not seen our kids in over 8 yrs...he is very messed up...so it is a mixed blessing. However I tell my son that he has a chance to make his last name one to be proud of for himself and his children. Thats just my oppinion though.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 2:17 PM on Oct. 15, 2008

• My DD had the name we used (new name) and the name on her offical ID (old name) for 2 1/2 yrs before it was official. However since my first husband was dead, there was no chance that her adoption wasn't going to go through. If she is young enough, and your sister has already signed away her rights, feel free to start calling her by your last name as soon as you actually file the adoption paperwork. You will just have to explain to certain adult's (day care, doctor's office, insurance, tax forms) that you are "in the middle of an adoption." But if you think it might all fall apart and confuse the poor kid then wait.
    Anonymous

• Thank you all for your feedback. My niece is only 7 months old and I love her like I was the one who gave birth to her.
    MomTo1AdorableB

Answer by MomTo1AdorableB at 10:53 AM on Oct. 16, 2008