My 11yr old son is having stomach cramps & is a little constipated. I have gave him a suppository without much help there. What should I do next?

Doreen76

Asked by Doreen76 at 5:12 PM on Oct. 14, 2008 in Kids' Health

• you can try feeding him rasinbran...or prune juice..tell him to keep drinking water...make sure he can pull his knees to his chest without pain...
    Anonymous

• Prune juice is good for constipation. They also make a yogurt from activia that supose to help regulate you! It works :)
    ashlee31627

Answer by ashlee31627 at 9:21 PM on Oct. 14, 2008

• Pears are great and I just got these pedialax strips that work great for my son!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 9:48 PM on Oct. 14, 2008

• If it's constipation, avoid apples and wheat (fiber) for a few days. Supply him with water, apple juice, bananas. These will loosen his bowels.

If after a few days, he's still constipated, I suggest taking him to the doctor. A friend of mine's son was severely constipated and had to take castor oil (I know! in THIS day and age! But it worked!), for a week. It took a long time to loosen him up, because he wasn't changing his eating habits.

Make sure he eats healthy; three meals a day. And for snacks, make it healthy, like applesauce, juice, fruit, etc. with some cheese and crackers. Avoid "dry" snacks like chips, crackers without toppings, etc. as these will just cause the salt content to absorb in his system and make him more bloated and constipated.

Jello and puddings are really great snacks too. Good luck!
    ChefMom94

Answer by ChefMom94 at 12:36 PM on Oct. 15, 2008

• My 2 year old was crying for hours in pain for her constipation. We had to give her an enema. My mil bought it at the drug store. It worked immediately. If that doesn't help, take him to the doctor. Good luck and I hope he feels better soon.
    Anonymous

• I disagree with the suggestion to give bananas. Bananas constipate. They do not loosen up stool. Give lots of water. Try gatorade. Try Colace. It's an over the counter stool softener. I's not a laxative. Pears, prunes, & prune juice are great. Stay away from diary. It's difficult to digest.
    hcmerrell

Answer by hcmerrell at 4:26 PM on Oct. 15, 2008

• Give him a can of peach nectar. It works better than prunes and is recommended for short term constipation problems by my son's GI doctor.
    sammygrl77

Answer by sammygrl77 at 5:00 PM on Oct. 20, 2008

• PROBIOTICS!!!!!!
    nicarue824

Answer by nicarue824 at 2:40 PM on Oct. 30, 2008

• Let me tell you, to this day I do this when I've got a stomachache. Take about 1 1/2 tsp. of caraway seeds, and put it in a small saucepan of water (say about 2-3 c. of water). Boil the seeds, and strain them out of the water (I use one of those small handheld things for teabags). Put it in a glass and add about 1 tsp. of sugar to taste. Let it cool, and have him drink it. I promise you, within one hour, he'll be fine!! It doesn't give you the diarrhea, it just works like a charm.
    ladylila705

Answer by ladylila705 at 10:09 PM on May. 6, 2009