Tummy Time

Ok...my daughter is 2.5 months old. I have tried to put her on her tummy numerous times, and she HATES it. I feel bad for not doing it, but she screams and gets so mad (she already has an attitude!!). When I'm holding her upright, she always lifts her head, and she already has great head control. Should I keep trying to put her on her tummy? I just don't know!!!

christenlrodrig

Asked by christenlrodrig at 5:18 PM on Oct. 14, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• my daughter was the same way...she was fine for about 2 seconds then she'd be ticked, she also had good head control...so I'd just do it for as long as she'd allow...she's doing fine now she like;s being on her tummy sometimes (she's 7 months now) keep trying, but she doesn't really need it...espeshly since she has good head control...so if she won't have anything to do with it then it's ok
    Allikats-momma

Answer by Allikats-momma at 5:25 PM on Oct. 14, 2008

• I agree with Allikats. My DH was the same way I didn't force her to do tummy time, she also had good head control. Once she found out she could roll over from her back to her tummy she started liking tummy time.
    MylilMonkey08

Answer by MylilMonkey08 at 5:36 PM on Oct. 14, 2008

• YES!!! MY DAUGHTER HATED IT TOO. IT ISN'T SO MUCH THAT SHE HATES IT, SHE WAS GETTING PISSED BECAUSE SHE COULDN'T SEE OR DO IT. I TRYED AND TRYED JUST A FEW MIN A DAY OR SO AND THEN SHE GOT IT. SHE WAS SO HAPPY WHEN SHE COULD GET UP AND LOOK AROUND. GIVE THE BABY BACK TIME ALSO ALONG WITH THE BELLY TIME. MAYBE NOT BACK TO BACK BUT THEY WILL HELP EACH OTHER OUT.
    BUSYMOMWNOCAPE

Answer by BUSYMOMWNOCAPE at 5:40 PM on Oct. 14, 2008

• No need to keep her there while she's screaming, she is still a young one. But keep getting her down on her tummy for longer and longer periods of time over the next few months. This doesn't have to be flat on the floor on a colorful blanket with toys all around. Try different things, like you lay down on the floor on your back and put her on top of you on your chest/tummy, she probably won't mind that so much, let her lift her head and look around from there. If you have a boppy pillow or wedge, put her body on the low side (or floor for the boppy) and encourage her to push up for toys or to grab your face. Put her on a low incline on your lower leg while supporting her body with your hands, see if she'll push up and look around. This is such a sweet time enjoy it, even with all that ATTITUDE she's giving you!
    juicepluskids

Answer by juicepluskids at 5:41 PM on Oct. 14, 2008

• my daughter is the same way. i put her down for about 10 minutes at a time even if she hates it i still keep her down there. she is not used to it so im trying to get her used to it. thats all you got to do is let her cry and fuss it out... she will eventually learn to like it and deal with it. its ok to let a baby cry sometimes.
    genuinely_real

Answer by genuinely_real at 6:12 PM on Oct. 14, 2008

• is it just me or does anyone else see a pattern with the responses that its all girls? lol well my daughter also hates it =) she does the same thing, lays there for a minute then gets really pissed. i discovered that she loves doing it on her boppy pillow. i just put that on the floor and put her on it so that her chest and arms are on top and she can push herself up completely already (shes three months now and she started doing that at about two months) its all about figuring out what she likes. you have to figure its really boring down there staring at nothing so lay on the floor in front of her and talk to her, or put toys around so she can see them. if she has something to occupy her shes less likely to get mad
    Amanduhpanda

Answer by Amanduhpanda at 6:24 PM on Oct. 14, 2008

• My son never accepted tummy time. I said screw it!
    amandallamas

Answer by amandallamas at 6:34 PM on Oct. 14, 2008

• once she starts learning how to roll over shell be ok with it..benny was the same way..becuase he couldnt hold his head up and it would frustrate him. But when he was able to pull himself up and roll over..thats all he does now..and now he even only sleeps on his tummy!
    e.rodriguez82

Answer by e.rodriguez82 at 10:41 PM on Oct. 14, 2008