Does anyone have ideas on how to help your toddlers pronounce words better?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:19 PM on Oct. 14, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• i just repeat the words to my son and he trys to copy and he gets better with time... u shouldnt encourage.. unproper grammer... we practice bananna... when he wants one i wont give him one until he says the ba part... he is getting much better at things... i am soo proud of my lil man!!
    navywifemomkoch

Answer by navywifemomkoch at 5:24 PM on Oct. 14, 2008

• Just talk to them clearly. They will get it. Dont try and correct it any other way. Can lead to more problems. (You can correct if they are using improper grammar though. Example: "I not take the cookies." to "I did not take the cookies." And defianately do not correct them if they are studdering. Just let them do it. They will grow out of it.
    LovinEveryDay

Answer by LovinEveryDay at 5:26 PM on Oct. 14, 2008

• Time and patience.
    I will also sometimes play a "sound game" with my daughter. I'll make a sound like "ba, ba, ba, ba" and try to get her to repeat it. After a few tries, I'll switch it to "ba, ba, ba, bye, bye" and see if I can get her to copy me again. I keep it simple and keep it a game. If she gets it "wrong", I don't correct her - I might try again or I might drop the game for now.

Remember, to you, talking is easy. You open your mouth, push air out your lungs, coordinate your vocal chords, your tounge, your lips, your jaws, your breath - it's a lot of work when you start to break it down. From what I've read, it is very common for 6 and 7 year olds to still have trouble with some sounds.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 5:28 PM on Oct. 14, 2008

• until your children get a real hold of speech, you shouldn't correct. It creates esteem problems. Even when my son was in Kindergarten, they told us not to tell him the words he wrote were wrong. Now that he has a firmer grasp on, we correct them.
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 5:34 PM on Oct. 14, 2008

• break it up into syllables.. my daughter can't say piano right "plano"... so i say "p-an-o".. had a hard time with yellow... "ya-elle-o" etc.
    Ambreelulu

Answer by Ambreelulu at 5:59 PM on Oct. 14, 2008

• I agree with the don't correct posts. It will discourage him from speaking. As long as you say things the correct way, you don't need to correct him. When he says something to you or anyone else when you are around, repeat back what you think he is trying to say. "Wa nana".. "You want the banana?" This serves a dual function in letting him understand you are listening and understand what he said and he gets to hear what it should sound like. This is more encouraging to him and he will learn at the same time.
    juicepluskids

Answer by juicepluskids at 7:05 PM on Oct. 14, 2008

• My son is four and has a slight speech delay. We went to a local teacher supply store and bought him a plastic "play" phone. Here's the link to see it (copy and paste in your browser):

http://www.lakeshorelearning.com/seo/ca|productSubCat~~p|2534374302090569~~f|/Assortments/Lakeshore/ShopByAgeOrGrade/6yr1stgrade/viewall.jsp

I know it doesn't look like much, but I tried it out and you can really hear yourself say every syllable crystal clear.
    Anonymous