Has anyone had an experience with adoption?

Me and my husband have talked for years about adopting a toddler from China when our youngest is around 3 or 4 years old. I have looked into it and know what they say is expected, I was just wondering if anyone has adopted a child and what the experience was like? Why did you adopt and how are things now?

AmandaH321

Asked by AmandaH321 at 5:34 PM on Oct. 14, 2008 in Adoption

• We adopted our daughter Lillian from China. We began the process March 05', were DTC 9/7/05, LID 10/10/05 and received our referral on 2/1/07.

My best advice for you is to prepare yourself for the worst even though it may not happen. That is what we did. We read everything we could get our hands on about China, adoption, attachment and bonding, and parenting adopted children.

Parenting an internationally adopted child has its difficulties... you become very visible when out and about with your child. You need to prepare your family for being in the spotlight and being bombarded with intrusive questions. Whether you answer them or not is your decision.
    So, in a nutshell, adoption is great, but can be challenging. The wait alone will take its toll on the strongest of people. Just research attachment, and parenting adopted children and you will be in a great place!
    Claire
    mcginnisc

Answer by mcginnisc at 10:48 AM on Oct. 16, 2008

• My aunt adopted a little boy years after she thought she couldn't have more kids....... later on the mother of the boy got pregant and asked if my aunt could take the lil girl she was prego w/ My aunt did.....it's been great! Just be very open and love them like your own!!
    Anonymous

• My husbands 2 sisters are adopted and they are an awesome family. The girls always knew they were adopted and grew up happy. My husband and I will adopt later in life, in about 10 years.
    Proudmommy312

Answer by Proudmommy312 at 6:07 PM on Oct. 14, 2008

• Thakns ladies. I would definately love this girl like my own. She's not even born yet I'm sure!
    AmandaH321

Answer by AmandaH321 at 8:01 PM on Oct. 14, 2008

• I have adopted three times from Asia. Twice from S Korea and a four year old girl from China. We adopted because we feel that it was God's plan for building our family. There are SO MANY (millions) of kids out there that are waiting. Parenting is parenting, nomatter what means of delivery God uses to build a family.
    joy2bamom

Answer by joy2bamom at 12:02 AM on Oct. 15, 2008

• I feel that God is leading me to this. Has been for quite some time now. I knew in my heart that this is something I will do if I am able. When I met my husband it was one of the things that needed to be discussed and decided upon before we married. He agrees with me and we both hope to have a little girl one day.
    AmandaH321

Answer by AmandaH321 at 12:39 AM on Oct. 15, 2008

• Yes, we've adopted four children. The first three were siblings, grandchildren of my neighbor, and the other one was a boy we adopted from Russia when he was six years old.

I have ten children -- six biologicla, four adopted. I would be happy to chat with anyone about adoption.

That being said, adopted children definitely have different dynamics in some ways. I have learned how important it is to understand emotions. As I have learned about emotions, I've become passionate our how important it is to really understand what we are feeling and thinking. I've seen my children completely change when their emotions are understood. We haven't had to solve anything -- just understand emotions. The amazing thing is how much understanding my own emotions has changed my life and brought us so much peace.

reading mom 550 at peacethroughprinciples.com
    readingmom550

Answer by readingmom550 at 9:22 AM on Oct. 15, 2008