Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

help. Do you know what I can do legally about signs?

okay I live in Ocala a small town in florida. along the highway there are handmade signs. really racist signs. is it legal to post sign on public (state/county) property? the signs are disgusting calling Obama a (muslim Ni....) and that is teh least offensive one. I can't even post what the others say. I was going to take them off but didn't know if it's legal. I know its illegal to remove signs from private property, but what about public propert? I'm also afraid because there are some members of the kkk in my neighborhood. I'm white but if they posted the signs they might hurt me if I take them off. what can i legally do?


Asked by Anonymous at 5:42 PM on Oct. 14, 2008 in Politics & Current Events

This question is closed.
Answers (11)
  • call the department of highway safety and motor vehicles. they might have jurisdiction and might be able to help. Also call the town public works and see what they can do. if neither one is willing to help, call the press and shame them into getting rid of the hateful signs.

    Answer by ny.chica at 5:45 PM on Oct. 14, 2008

  • just call your local non emergency number and explain.

    Answer by Anonymous at 5:44 PM on Oct. 14, 2008

  • Yess, get the press involved if you have to. They'll blast those signs all to hell.

    Answer by caitxrawks at 5:51 PM on Oct. 14, 2008

  • Call the police and ask. And call the press and tell them about the signs.

    I'm not an Obama supporter but really! Nonsense like this hurts everyone!

    Answer by kaycee14 at 5:58 PM on Oct. 14, 2008

  • Call the police, non-emergency number and tell them that you believe they are posted on public property. I do believe that it is illegal to post a sign without first getting permission.


    Answer by slick05 at 5:59 PM on Oct. 14, 2008

  • Contact the press. Do something but don't give out your name, we don't want you hurt.
    Thank you Kaycee14, if the rest of America would come together like that it would be great.
    Putting aside parties to stop the hate.
    Way to go Ladies!!!

    Answer by pnwmom at 6:06 PM on Oct. 14, 2008

  • I don't live too far from you and I can only imagine the redneck moron who posted them. I agree, call the non emergency number and ask what you can do. I wouldn't want/ shouldn't have to explain crap like that to my kid as we drive by!


    Answer by MAUREEN55 at 6:28 PM on Oct. 14, 2008

  • I would do as these moms said. Call non-emergency police and call the press. If you can - take pictures of these signs and email them to the local paper.

    On one hand, you don't want these people to get the attention, because it's terrible stuff. On the other hand, maybe someone with a conscience will intervene and the signs will be taken down without any major problems.

    I guess, I would notify the media or the police, because doing nothing would be like turning a blind eye. And yet, we don't want YOU harmed in any way either!!!

    Answer by Joselle at 6:34 PM on Oct. 14, 2008

  • Is this in the middle of town or what? I can't imagine it being on a major highway and someone not reporting it. But I have lived in the south and I know your plight. As does Maureen55 does too I bet.

    Answer by pnwmom at 6:38 PM on Oct. 14, 2008

  • Yes, do call the non-emergency police number in your town, but just in case some of the police are part of the problem--which very well might be the case--don't give your name, and be sure to use a pay phone or a cell phone with untraceable number on it to call from. I can't imagine those signs being up for long without some complicity from city officials.

    Answer by pagan_mama at 7:26 PM on Oct. 14, 2008