Dog With Seizures

My half cocker spaniel, half dodson dog has had 2 seizures in the past 2 days. I'm taking her to vet tomorrow. Will the blood test show if something's wrong with her brain or will it just tell if she's epileptic?

jon6pat

Asked by jon6pat at 10:59 PM on Jun. 30, 2008 in Pets

• The vet will do blood work to test the kidney, liver, glucose, electrolytes, also a CBC(complete blood count) to check to any sign of infection or anemia(if they do a blood smear it can also check for some cancer cells like lymphoma)If your dog is overweight they may want to do a T4 to check they thyroid function, or other blood tests to check for Cushing's or Addison's disease(when the body makes too much or not enough cortisone and other steroids)...they basically want to check for ANY possible cause for the seizures so if there is an underline problem they can fix that, then if all the tests come back normal they assume the dog just has a sudden onset of epilepsy and will put him on potassiums bromide or phenobarbital ..something they don't check for is food allergies, which cockers are prone to, so if he is not already before you try meds try a different food,flint river is great
    Rachel1786

Answer by Rachel1786 at 10:12 AM on Jul. 1, 2008

• try giving her some bryers vanilla ice cream after the seziure it will help and lots of distilled water we had to put or GS down after only 2 years old for seizures
    Patience1

Answer by Patience1 at 11:05 PM on Jun. 30, 2008

• I've been told from other dog owners who's dog have had seizures that they will give her medicine for it & she wouldn't have so many seizures. I was just wondering if the blood test will show anything besides epilepsy.
    jon6pat

Answer by jon6pat at 11:08 PM on Jun. 30, 2008

• we had a dog with seizures. They werent sure what was causing them. Nothing came back on his blood tests. We got him from the humane society so we didnt know the history.
    amymartinez0214

Answer by amymartinez0214 at 11:33 PM on Jun. 30, 2008

• My dogs blood test didn't show anything. We eventually figured out that anytime he got even a little piece of onion it caused a seizure.
    sjanel

Answer by sjanel at 11:38 PM on Jun. 30, 2008

• My friend just went through this with her dog. Basically she has to give her Japanese Chin a pill (I think its a potassium pill) everyday. Her bloodwork said there was nothing wrong so thats the medicinal course they took. Apparently canine epilepsy usually occurs between 3 and 5 years of age. The only way they can tell for sure is by an MRI but they are way expensive. Good luck and I wish your doggie the best.
    adeuslove07

Answer by adeuslove07 at 1:02 AM on Jul. 1, 2008

• We have a dog that has had seizures. Though bloodwork showed nothing, he is taking anti-seizure meds. They have helped tremendously. Though when on meds it is wise to have the dog checked yearly (or more if signs show) for diabetes.
    Hope your pooch will be ok!
    New2WAHJ

Answer by New2WAHJ at 4:03 AM on Jul. 1, 2008

• Okay, just got back from vet. They took blood to test for any abnormality with her liver or brain function. They gave us some Penobarbital to take for 2 weeks, then more blood work to make sure it's the right dose. Then blood work every 6 months to make sure the dose is okay and her liver isn't damaged from the medicines.
    They said that most dogs start having them after they turn 6 yrs old, which she is. Breaks my heart to see her suffer! She's had one a day the past 3 days. I hope she doesn't have another one tonight cause I just can't stand to watch her in pain! The one this morning really took something out of her & she still hasn't fully returned to being herself!
    jon6pat

Answer by jon6pat at 7:17 PM on Jul. 1, 2008

• I hope your dog is ok! My fiance's parents have a dog who has seizures alot. They've done test and meds and nothing helps. She's a small dog and when she goes into a fit she looses all body control. At first she stiffens up and someone runs to get towels. She usually poops, pee's and pukes on the person holding her. The first time I saw it happened I about freaked cause she started it in my lap. Second time it was worse. Most of her fits last a good hour if not longer. One day I just know it she wont come out of the fit and it scares me. I hope the meds work for your doggie! Thoughts and prayers for you and your doggie!
    s_r_d3

Answer by s_r_d3 at 4:01 AM on Jul. 3, 2008

• Well, she's been on the meds for a couple days & hasn't had a seizure, which is good! She didn't pee or take a dump for over 12 hours & I had to call the vet & they said she was tramatized from having her blood drawn, etc., to give her 48 hours. She finally did go and boy did she go! She's very sensitive to noise now & isn't as socialable as she was before. She doesn't want anyone touching her but us, unlike before where she wanted everyone to love on her. Which may be a good thing because she could have another seizure and bite them.
    They did say we were lucky because Tiptoe doesn't pee, crap all over the place as she seizures like alot of animals do. I'd freak too if that happened.
    Thanks for the comments & giving me some advice! I love CafeMom!
    jon6pat

Answer by jon6pat at 8:15 PM on Jul. 3, 2008