my dog steals my coffee!>?

if i go to the bathroom and leave my coffee on the table he has dumped it and is lapping it up when i come back out. wth? does it do the same for him as me? is he really needing the energy from it or is it just one of those things dogs like?

cassie_m

Asked by cassie_m at 7:05 PM on Sep. 8, 2010 in Pets

• ObbyDobbie, it's actually the theobromine in chocolate that is toxic to dogs:
    http://www.dogownersdigest.com/news/library/chocolate-dog-poisoning.shtml

Caffeine is toxic to dogs in large quantities, but it takes more than theobromine to do any significant damage.

Try to remember to keep your coffee out of reach, it's not good for your dog!
    SarahLeeMorgan

Answer by SarahLeeMorgan at 2:47 AM on Sep. 9, 2010

• Actually, not to alarm you- but the reason Dogs are not supposed to have chocolate is the caffeine (even though it is in minuscule quantities), coffee is toxic for our k9 friends.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 7:12 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• LOL

Answer by louise2 at 7:07 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• lol, your dog could just like coffee...my SO's dog will do the same thing with juice...
    BradensMom1026

Answer by BradensMom1026 at 7:08 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• Caffeinated pooch - that is cute!
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 7:12 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• The dog does not respect you as the leader - otherwise he would never attempt to take your food.
    I am currently training an 8 month old pup out of this as well.

Start by first never setting your dog up for failure - do not leave your coffee or anything else where he can get to it while you are not there to correct him.
    Either put your food up - or crate him while you are out of the room.

Then - set aside some time during your busy day to train your dog. Start with basic commands if he doesn't know them.
    Eventually move into the command OFF - by putting a temptation near him and telling him OFFF..and keep him from it.
    When he looks away reward thim.

Time, consistency and love
    FooLynRoo

Answer by FooLynRoo at 7:32 AM on Sep. 9, 2010

• Foo- we do that with our dogs... except we use "Leave it". Watch "Its me or the Dog" and pick up LOTS of great training ideas. We have the best behaved dogs!!
    MunchiesMom324

Answer by MunchiesMom324 at 11:31 AM on Sep. 9, 2010