I am worried!!!!

So at my last appoinment they did blood work to check my sugar levels. Mine was a bit higher than normal not much, but I go back in this week actually to do a three hour test to see if my sugar levels are high or to high or whatever. To see if I have gestational diabetes or not. Iam scared. It seems all I crave is sugar. I have been drinkin water like no tommorrow. Everything I read the labels on has some amount of sugar in it. I cant seem to stay away. I have been eatin like they recommend I do before my appoinment. But the sugary drink they give you right before they draw your blood probly throws every thing out of wack.
but I am nervous and don't know what to eat, what to drink. How harmful is it to my baby? What can I do to prevent it?

mgurl

Asked by mgurl at 6:08 PM on Oct. 14, 2008 in Pregnancy

• the symptoms arent craving sugar, i just looked in my pregnancy book

the symptoms for gestational diabetes is blurred vision tingling or numbness in hands and/or feet excessive thirst frequent urination sores that heal slowly & excessive fatigue.

the baby is usually okay you just may ahve a longer labor because the babies tend to be much larger.
    Anonymous

• That sounds just like me when i was preggo. I had to go back and do the glucose test when i was around 36 weeks because my belly was getting so big. My uterus was measuring 46 weeks at 36 so since people with Gestational diabetes have larger babies i had to do the test again. I had the same cravings of suger, mostly sweet breads... And i drank ALOT of water!! like 4-5 20 oz bottles of water a day!! But all i had was extra fluid and a biiig baby, 9lbs 1oz 21 inches... lol how far along are you and do you have an extra large belly? It may just be nothing.
    ariannas_mama36

Answer by ariannas_mama36 at 7:45 PM on Oct. 14, 2008

• I just went though the same thing! I had to go back and take the three hour test. I missed passing the first test by three points. I too was craving water and sweets and was paranoid that I would end up with gestational diabetes. I passed the three hour test. They said you had to fail I think it was either 2 or 3 out of the five times they checked your blood and I passed them all. I think the difference was that I was told not to eat or drink anything before the three hour test and when I took the normal one I had eaten breakfast. I know its easier said than done but try not to worry too much. The dr told me it was normal to fail the first test, just depends on what you ate or drank before hand. Good luck to you! That stuff is nasty! lol
    Anonymous

• have you been having a lot of vit C? or cough drops? I had a cold halfway through my first pregnancy and the cough drops shot my levels up.
    reflect1light

Answer by reflect1light at 12:09 AM on Oct. 15, 2008