ovarian cysts... a touchy subject for me

How many of you women have had them?
Did you have to get the removed if so how does that work?
Can you still get pregnant if you have them?
What do they do?
Do they make you bleed after Unprotected sex?
Do they make you bleed after Protected sex?
If you dont bleed after protected sex but bleed after unprotected sex is that a sign of an ovarian cysts?
What are sign of them?
- i know A LOT of questions... you don't have to answer all, ihave already done a lot of reading about them online but i would like to hear from real people now.. because somethings online can be so... scientifically explained and a little scary!

SammiGirl07

Asked by SammiGirl07 at 7:09 PM on Sep. 8, 2010 in Health

• I have them. I've had them off and on for years. They are really normal. They pop up at ovulation and normally burst on their own letting the egg out. Sometimes they don't burst on their own. I've never had bleeding over them but did with uterine fibroids. I don't think protected or unprotected sex makes a difference. I was going to have surgery to have one removed but it burst on its own a week before surgery. Yay!

Answer by admckenzie at 7:14 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• I have had an ovarian cyst after having the IUD and it caused severe pain, never made me bleed, it made me nautious, it can cause infertility but not always, I have not tried to get pregnant since then plus I had brain surgery so that could be the reason I might not ever get pregnant again. Usually an ovarian cyst will go away on its own if its not severe you just have to go to your ob to see what they say. Mine was small enough that it went away on its own after removing the iud.
    mama2005

Answer by mama2005 at 7:22 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• I suffer from them, and they SUCK. Mine got so big, that I two separate surgeries to remove them (thru the bellybutton, all lapascopic, no scars at least)......and they can make you bleed with/without protected sex.

Symptoms are: tenderness on whatever side you have them on, sharp pinches or pains that can suddenly take your breath away, bloating, irritability (worse than your PMS), fatigue

You can still get pregant even if you have them. They actually help a pregnancy stick and flourish. They are supposed to shrink and go away after delivery, but sometimes that doesn't happen (as in the case with me)......Good luck.

cfh72

Answer by cfh72 at 7:22 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• How many of you women have had them? - I have PCOS.
    Did you have to get the removed if so how does that work? - Haven't had to cross that road yet...
    Can you still get pregnant if you have them? - Yes...
    What do they do? - The actual cysts themselves haven't done much. But the entirety of PCOS has seriously messed up my cycle and affected my fertility.
    Do they make you bleed after Unprotected sex? - I tend to bleed after, yes. Dunno about protected...haven't had that in yeeeaaars.
    If you dont bleed after protected sex but bleed after unprotected sex is that a sign of an ovarian cysts? - Not sure.
    What are sign of them? - I had no idea until my period went way haywire. When it did come, it would either be very spotty and light, or very heavy, and last for up to a month. I have difficulties with weight, and have diabetic-like symptoms too. An ultrasound confirmed what the doctor thought - several cysts all over my ovaries.
    sojourner.

Answer by sojourner. at 7:46 PM on Sep. 8, 2010