VBAC.. I've had two c-sections, is it possible?

I've had two c-sections. The first was b/c my son was too big and wouldn't come out. The second was stillborn and she couldn't make it out with a natural birth... :*( Now I'm 16 weeks and wondering if I could try labor again. Has anyone done natural after two c-sections??? Was it hard? I don't even know if I should risk it or just opt for another c-setion. We want one more baby after this, that would be 4 c-sections, anyone ever had that many?

AshJoe05

Asked by AshJoe05 at 6:27 PM on Oct. 14, 2008 in Pregnancy

• i dont have all the answers you want, but i do know a lot of women that had a couple c sections and were still able to do vbac. I would say your best bet is to see what the doctors recommend. their main concern is going to be all the scar tissue. after all that doesnt stretch like it should. so i would say it is possible, but your doctor will have the best advice for you depending on how your incisions were made. that has a lot to do with it too, the placement and the direction of the cut in your incision. good luck! and congrats!!!!
    Amanduhpanda

Answer by Amanduhpanda at 6:41 PM on Oct. 14, 2008

• If I understand correctly you did labour with your previous pregnancies before your c-section. I believe that lowers you chances of a VBAC but dosen't rule it out. If you feel that you truly need to have a vaginal delivery then check with your dr about the chances and risks.
    I had a VBAC after a planned c-section and passed out and threw up after my daughter made her way into the world.They thought my incision had ruptured and things were a little tense for my husband. Fortunately all was fine. Just make sure you out weigh the risks.
    Best of Luck!
    AmandaH321

Answer by AmandaH321 at 10:24 PM on Oct. 14, 2008

• VBAC is possible. Be firm with your doctor. Out of curiousity, how big was your son? I have had people tell me that their baby was big at 7 pounds. My mom had a 10 lb 14 oz baby without any intervention or meds. Mine was 8# 4, all natural.
    reflect1light

Answer by reflect1light at 12:08 AM on Oct. 15, 2008

• It really and truly depends on the doctor and the hospital. Some doctors won't agree to VBAC at all. Some have a limit of 1 cesarean. Some have no limit. Some will depend on the reasons for a prior cesarean - if you had failure to progress because of cephalopelvic disproportion (baby was too big for your pelvis to accomodate, can happen even with small babies if mom has certain pelvic shapes or abnormalities, sounds like what may have happened with your first baby) then some docs won't try VBAC because history suggests the VBAC would fail, baby would go into distress, and you'd end up with a crash c-section. Some docs will try. If the prior c-section was for preeclampsia, breech baby, etc they're more likely to try VBAC.

Good luck.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:56 AM on Oct. 15, 2008

• It is possible. Find a doc that specializes in VBAC. I'm a doula. I just had a mom contact me about attending her 7th birth after having 5 sections! She has a semi famous doc that specializes in VBAC here in Atlanta that is taking on her case. I must say, if I was in her position, I'd think long and hard, but the fact that this doc is supportive of her desire to do this is pretty awesome. Just check out your options and take your time making the decision.
    SashaJ

Answer by SashaJ at 11:07 AM on Oct. 15, 2008