im sorry i know i feel really stupid!!

but what is the difference from a spinal and an epidural?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:36 PM on Oct. 14, 2008 in Pregnancy

• Usually they do a spinal block with a c-section and an epidural with vaginal, however in emergencies your epidural "can" work for a c-section. I don't really know that exact difference though
    AshJoe05

Answer by AshJoe05 at 6:38 PM on Oct. 14, 2008

• I Think its that location of where they put it
    Klomas1988

Answer by Klomas1988 at 6:39 PM on Oct. 14, 2008

• The spinal cord and the nerves are contained in a sac of cerebrospinal fluid. The space around this sac is the epidural space (see section on 'Regional anesthesia'). Spinal anesthesia involves the injection of numbing medicine directly into the fluid sac. Epidurals involve the injection into the space outside the sac (epidural space). Spinals and epidurals have the same effect (i.e. numbs a large region of the body) because they both involve numbing of the nerves as they branch off the spinal cord. Since the spinal injection is more "direct", the effect is immediate
    Anonymous

• Technically; I have had both. Spinal, is one shot bam. Epidural is one shot, but has a constant IV flow of medicine to it (for longer periods of time. Other than that, not much difference. Location is the same, pain (if you can really call it that) is the same, the only true difference is that the epidural lasts longer and also takes longer to wear off. With the spinal, I literally was on my feet the same day, going to the bathroom myself (we all hate catheters!!!) and I was able to walk around and not feel paralyzed in a bed for so long...
    leoangel

Answer by leoangel at 6:57 PM on Oct. 14, 2008

• BTW you are not stupid at all... I had no clue till I was offered either with my second c-section; and believe me, I was asking every question under the sun! LOL
    leoangel

Answer by leoangel at 7:05 PM on Oct. 14, 2008

• I think an epidural is a gift from GOD. hehe. I have never had a spinal but I have had vaginal births.
    AilaMonetsMommy

Answer by AilaMonetsMommy at 8:00 PM on Oct. 14, 2008