my 6 week old is having sleeping issues.

she won't sleep unless i am holding her!! i guess i kind of did it to myself, she was a premiee so when she got to come home i held her all the time..but now i can't put her down. i dont like the idea of letting her cry for a long time.. so what should i do??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:40 PM on Oct. 14, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• It's good to try to get a little seperation occassionally, but she is still young. I know I worry about spoiling my son, but I read in a parenting book that you really can't spoil a child before they are 6 months old; they are too young. It is good for them to know they are cared for and not alone. Swaddling only worked for a few weeks for my son because he would always find a way to wriggle out of it. He liked the swing and his carseat though. Good Luck!
    gwood

Answer by gwood at 10:03 PM on Oct. 14, 2008

• Swaddle her. That should work also. When you swaddle her, sit indian style...lay her on one leg and bounce her.
    SugaB28

Answer by SugaB28 at 6:43 PM on Oct. 14, 2008

• you dont have to let her cry for a long time. she just needs that comfort of knowing that mommy is still there. a lot of it has to do with your smell. try swaddling her in one of your shirts. that way she can still smell you with her. also, if she is crying dont pick her up right away, giver her about ten minutes (five if your having a really hard time) but no more then 15 minutes and go to her and try to calm her by rubbing her back, or singing to her. it will be difficult at first but it will work. also ty and get her on a routine. try having her wake up in the morn, then eat then play then sleep then eat then play then sleep and so on. having that consistency will help tons!!!! try reading "On Becoming Baby Wise" that book helped me so much when i was in your boat! good luck and congrats!
    Amanduhpanda

Answer by Amanduhpanda at 6:44 PM on Oct. 14, 2008

• I held my son a lot too! ANd let him sleep on me. I just put him on his tummy to sleep during the days so I felt comfortable seeing him move his head. And now he sleeps fine but only on his tummy. He hates being on his back
    AilaMonetsMommy

Answer by AilaMonetsMommy at 7:59 PM on Oct. 14, 2008

• Yupp Swaddling usually does the trick,

Placing her in a swing before she falls out or helping her fall alseep works too
    LexsiesMommy

Answer by LexsiesMommy at 9:03 PM on Oct. 14, 2008

• hold her. babies need their mommies to help them sleep. that's way too young to cry for nothing.
    jus1jess

Answer by jus1jess at 9:40 PM on Oct. 14, 2008

• Have you tried wearing her? I love to hold my babies so this time around (baby #3) I became very familar with different slings and wraps. I started out with a pouch sling and then a mei tai carrier and have now moved onto a ring sling. I love them all and still use them with my daughter she's 6 months almost.
    AmandaH321

Answer by AmandaH321 at 10:03 PM on Oct. 14, 2008

• swaddling could certainly do the trick.
    do you nurse? if so you could lay down next to her and nurse her to sleep and then roll away once baby is sleeping.
    heatherama

Answer by heatherama at 10:25 PM on Oct. 14, 2008

• I was told by my own doctor that you can never spoil a baby not until they are about 6 months..right now she just needs you..my son use to wake up as soon as we put him down..and then we had to rock him back again for like about 2-3 months..then he started sleeping long hours. so this just might be a stage and then she will sleep on her own..just keep doing what you are doing.
    e.rodriguez82

Answer by e.rodriguez82 at 10:38 PM on Oct. 14, 2008