Why do you think Obama is winning?

For the most part, is Obama winning the election because of his beliefs and abilities or do you think he might be winning because many people would like to see an African American in office? Do you believe he may be more open to understanding then the typical rich white man?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:00 PM on Oct. 14, 2008 in Politics & Current Events

• Many reasons:

1. Because our current president will probably go down in history as being the worst president in the free world! Bush virtually handed a "silver patter" to Obama! In other words, Obama was in the right place at the right time for this election.
    2. We have more college age individuals who will be voting for Obama because he is more in tune with their issues, or so they think.
    3. People are thinking along the lines of what if something happened to McCain, would Palin be able to step up to bat?
    4. McCain is labeled as another President Bush. That is something else in Obama's favor.

Right now I'm undecided- but this I know; I will NOT vote for Obama. I don't like his affiliations with extremists and the fact that no one cares makes me wonder if he is the Pied Piper to no where.

But people want a (oh, what's that word) CHANGE...well, it might be a change, but not one the country needs.

Anonymous

• i think that he is winning because he is a democrat and america is ready for a change because of bush, but i don't want him to win at all!!!!
    Anonymous

• I think he's ahead in the polls because the majority of people who are voting for him like his campaign's goals. He's half-white, fwiw. I don't think being half-black is why he's ahead. If his race was the sole issue I doubt he would have gotten the Democratic nomination.
    Anonymous

• I think the polls are making it look like he is winning to try and break the spirit of Republicans. I don't actually think he is winning. I guess we will all see after Election day.
    Anonymous

• I think he is winning because his ideas are better than John McCain's. More people believe Obama can work out our hideous economic problems, while McCain helped create the environment in which this could happen. Finally, people are beginning to realize that if we destroy the earth, we are ruining our global life-support system. Because of this, Obama's more progressive approach to energy is more appealing. I think the only effect his race is having is, sadly, that his lead might be more if he were white. I don't know many people who would vote for someone just because he is black; but I do know some who won't vote for him because of that. I think his background (single mom, raised partly by grandparents, needed student loans for college) makes him more like the rest of us, though his great intellect and Harvard education may make him feel less approachable for some. I hope his lead grows until election day!
    yarnjunkie

Answer by yarnjunkie at 7:16 PM on Oct. 14, 2008

• I agree with Anon 7:13
    I don't think he is winning, I know a lot of republicans that don't vote on those "official polls" and people that vote more than once. They don't tell you anything.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 7:17 PM on Oct. 14, 2008

• LOL you are so right. It's just a way to defeat the Republican's morale @@.
    Anonymous

• Annonymous your joking right! that makes no since. Why would they say obama is winning if hes not? thats just stupid.
    soonmommyof3

Answer by soonmommyof3 at 7:31 PM on Oct. 14, 2008

• I am a republican, from a republican family, living in a swing state. We have never been polled. Not one of us, not ever. In fact no one I know has every been polled (in that swing state). So, how can these polls be accurate? Also, polls are done on a very small sample size, certainly not representative of the entire country. Hence the reason that they may or may not be representative of the general population. I agree with the above anon, we will see on election day how it pans out. Remember both Gore and Kerry were leading in the polls, and look how that turned out. Just food for thought.
    Anonymous

• Who is "they?" They are polls put on by different news organizations not everyone votes in them. No one is winning until the election is over. You can't believe polls anyone can vote on them and they can vot however many times they want.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 7:38 PM on Oct. 14, 2008