my son came home with a bruise on his face

His uncle picked him school, but didn't think anything of the bruise until I pointed it out. I know I didn't send him to school like that.I dont know what I should do

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:01 PM on Oct. 14, 2008 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I would march my rear-end right up to that school and ask!! what is going on??? That's what I would do! you leave him in there care. and ask why didn't they notify you.?
    christina200107

Answer by christina200107 at 7:04 PM on Oct. 14, 2008

• Did you ask him how he got it? Your post caught my eye because my son also came home with a bruised cheek today! His school did call earlier, and told me he was getting an ice pack because he accidentally got kicked during a rather active music class activity. I appreciated the call, and the secretary said he was fine and going back to class. I picked him up at the usual time, and he has not mentioned the incident. As parents, we often over-react to the everyday things that happen. Start by asking him, then you could ask his teacher. You will get a much better reaction with a simple, level-headed question than by "marching your rear end up there" and demanding an explanation.
    yarnjunkie

Answer by yarnjunkie at 7:09 PM on Oct. 14, 2008

• How old is he. He probably fell or something did he tell you what happened? He may not have told the teacher, if he did hurt himself therefore they wouldn't know either.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 7:09 PM on Oct. 14, 2008

• he is five and in kindergarten he says that his friend accidentaly hit him with a stick and that he had to change his color card. But the teacher never called the bruise is pretty big.
    Anonymous

• You need to call the school and ask why in the heck they didnt call you,
    and i hope like heck the uncle didnt smack him in his face or somthing
    Anonymous

• Things happen and sometimes you don't even know what causes a bruise on yourself. So first I would ask him if he knows how he got that bruise. He may not even remember what happened that could have caused it. If he does know then he'll tell you and you can calmly handle it from there. My daughter is in kindergarten and she had a bruise on her face the other day. I said to her "oh no, you have a bruise on your face" She said "where", so I stuck my finger on it and she yelps "ow". I asked her "did something happen? Did you bump your face on something?" She shrugged her shoulders "I don't think so". Lord knows that most of the bruises I have, I have no idea where they came from. So don't jump to conclusions, ask him and handle it from there. It could be something as simple as bumping heads with a classmate and it wasn't a big deal and he might not even realize that this is where a bruise came from.
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 9:24 PM on Oct. 14, 2008

• Good lord he's a boy. Ask him where it came from. Why freak out?
    anaebanae

Answer by anaebanae at 10:31 PM on Oct. 14, 2008

• To be honest, the teacher may not have called because it is just a bruise, or maybe it didn't start showing up until later in the day, almost time to pick him up. It sounds like it was an accident, so I wouldn't really worry about it too much. Boys are boys, kids are kids, and unless it broke a bone or caused some other kind of damage other than a bruise I would just let it go.
    MomOf2Turds

Answer by MomOf2Turds at 5:15 PM on Oct. 15, 2008