What exatly s a godmother?

I am going to be a godmother in a few months, and I have absolutely NO experience with babies. Could someone please tell me what my duties are as a godmother, and what you do with babies?

Mrs.Dr.House

Asked by Mrs.Dr.House at 7:25 PM on Sep. 8, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• As a godmother, it's your job to foster and sense of spirituality in a child, and to guide the child's spiritual development.
    UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 7:31 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• Okay so that is all I'm supposed yo do???? I'm not even religious myself. I never go to church, and I don't really believe that there is a job(Yes I do know the title is "Godmother") But neither are the people who asked me to be the godmother. So could you please give me some more insight on what might be expected of a god mother in my position????

Greetz,

Hailey
    Mrs.Dr.House

Comment by Mrs.Dr.House (original poster) at 7:50 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• You should be a positive and loving influence in the child's life.With my God Daughters I try to spend individual time with each of them as often as I can and let them know that I'm there if they just need another person on their side. I also try to make sure that I back up what their parents are teaching them morally and spiritually.
    dmbutler

Answer by dmbutler at 8:15 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• i was real young when i became a godmother. just someone that is there for the child and teaches them good ways. a long time ago it was believe that the godparents were to have the child if something ever happened to the parents but most people i know don't follow that rule any more. its such a honor and privilege to be a godparent. i cherish every moment with my god children.
    lambdarose

Answer by lambdarose at 8:18 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• I am also only 14 years old, and I am very worried about becoming a godparent. My cousins have already said that they want the baby to go to me if they die. I know nothing about babies so I am worried.
    Mrs.Dr.House

Comment by Mrs.Dr.House (original poster) at 8:55 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• You are the youngest godmomma i ever ment.lol. You would pretty much be the parents' helper while they are alive and well. If they died then you would become the parent. So start reading up on babies how they develop, what they eat, stuff like that.gl
    mekarevell

Answer by mekarevell at 11:16 AM on Sep. 9, 2010

• One more thang you already made a good 1st choice joining here because you can join groups and ask tons of questions to get more info.
    mekarevell

Answer by mekarevell at 11:17 AM on Sep. 9, 2010