Halloween

Does anyone else get frustrated when people insist that Halloween is a holday to worship satan? Do people not know that Halloween stems from the Day of the dead...a catholic (mexican) celebration that honors the dead? There ae pagan parts also, but pagans dont worship Satan...FRUSTRATING!

JoLee12345

Asked by JoLee12345 at 7:36 PM on Sep. 8, 2010 in General Parenting

• In this modern day and age, I think you can pretty much let it be whatever you want it to be. For me, it is an opportunity for children to dress up, spend some time having fun with their families, collecting candy from their friends and neighbors, attending parties, and having a really fun time celebrating fall. If you want to make more of it, then its your problem, own it. No matter what you say to me, I will continue to have a really nice time making some great memories with my children, family and friends. If others want to dwell in the dark underworld or sit at home judging others, creating unnecessary drama...go for it.
    Lifes-A-Dance

Answer by Lifes-A-Dance at 7:53 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• lol i know i feel sad for those people because they are not educated on the real meaning of halloween.
    Alejandra10

Answer by Alejandra10 at 7:39 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• You have to understand that this type of thing is actually taught in some churches. They had pamphlets that they handed out showing satanist praying over candy and trying to steal people's souls.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 7:42 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• Actually, Halloween is a combination of the Celtic festival of Samhain, and the Christian All Saint's Day (which the Mexican Day of the Dead is linked to), but I get your point. It has nothing to do with Satan, or evil, or anything like that. Some people just like to be party poopers, I guess.
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 7:44 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• what? Look I am Catholic, my freinds are baptist, and mormon, and never have i heard something so rediculous!
    JoLee12345

Comment by JoLee12345 (original poster) at 7:44 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• I get very frustrated about it. I am Pagan and I don't believe in satan. When I try to tell people this they come back with - "well you don't have to believe in him, but if you are worshiping anything other than MY version of 'god' then it is satan - so you are satanic and evil, the worst type of evil because you don't know what you are doing because you are stupid and uniformed about the way the world works" - or some similar drivel. It does become upsetting when you are told by someone ignorant that you are ignorant for not being ignorant (if that make sense)
    Amelora

Answer by Amelora at 7:50 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• Lifes-a-dance....that was a wonderful answer! Thank you!
    JoLee12345

Comment by JoLee12345 (original poster) at 7:56 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• Don't let it get to you, I'm a Christian and know the real meaning of Halloween. Many of us do. It's the ones who are not educated enough that stand out on this issue. I actually love Halloween. It's fun and exciting! My BF and I enjoy watching the Halloween movies. I love scary movies...LOL
    lioness3e

Answer by lioness3e at 8:29 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• I completely agree! What really irks me is that if we have a Halloween event in a church we have to rename it something "less offensive" like a Harvest Festival. Don't get me wrong, I think Harvest Festivals are great - just about anything fall-ish is to me- but I do not associate that with Halloween but with Thanksgiving. Anyway, after growing up with a pastor for a dad (and a mom who is just as crazy about Halloween as I am) I've learned that even very sensible people go nuts over the fake hype of the holiday. If I'm asked about (working at a Christian school or with Girl Scouts) I remind the parents that it is a fun holiday for their kids and that if they focus on the fun their kids are having instead of the negative publicity put out by closed-minded individuals they will have a ton of fun too. (c:

scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 8:37 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• It's all in what you make of it, we have fun with it.
    QandA

Answer by QandA at 8:59 PM on Sep. 8, 2010