what would u pay a chilcare provider to watch your children and do u think centers should get paid more then providers that work at there home?

i am a licensed provider in my home and i charge 2.50hr for under 2 and 2.25hr over 2. i was told that my rates our expensive since "all i do is sit at home and watch kids". i do have my own 5month old, a 8month old 10hrs a day mon-fri and three 3yr old plus my eight year old so i do not just sit on my butt. what do you think about rates of peopll like me that do childcare? and the tv is hardly on

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:27 PM on Oct. 14, 2008 in General Parenting

• i paid my personal sitter 80 for 1 and 100.00 for both girls (age 7 weeks and 7 years) She provided breakfast lunch and a healthy snack. She did crafts, taught a bible verse a week and took them outside a lot to play. She also had 3 children of her own (one was 7 months) and 6 other children over age 2.
    When my oldest was at a daycare I had to pay 103.00 for one and she was gonna charge me 185.00 for two, and that was with my infant being full time and my oldest just after school.
    myboogiewoogie

Answer by myboogiewoogie at 7:32 PM on Oct. 14, 2008

• sounds like your busy and you deserve every dollar!!
    hotmama541

Answer by hotmama541 at 7:44 PM on Oct. 14, 2008

• how many hours were your children in care myboogie?
    Anonymous

• no i wouldnt hire a person to take care of my kid i understand that some people have to and i respect that and its alot of hard work, i would just rather raise my own kid or a family member. i just dont trust complete strangers regardless if they work at a company.
    Anonymous

• oh sorry i thought your question was WOULD YOU HIRE SOMEONE... sorry LOL
    Anonymous

• From 6:00 a.m. till 3:30 - 4:00 p.m
    myboogiewoogie

Answer by myboogiewoogie at 8:07 PM on Oct. 14, 2008

• i was paying my in home care giver $3 an hour and she was worth every penny because my daughter got alot more one on one attention than she would have at a facility... i ended up moving to an area where i had to put her in a day care center and i HATED it. she'd come home with her shirt filthy and soaking wet. the other kids picked on her all day. the teachers were just too overwelmed and out numbered.. that's one of the main reasons i left my job and just became a SAHM. goodluck and if you move here please let me know and i'll hire ya!
    Ambreelulu

Answer by Ambreelulu at 8:12 PM on Oct. 14, 2008

• you paid her that much a week or month.? if monthly that was real cheap. usually pay about $400.00 month for a 8 month old 40hrs a week.
    Anonymous

• wow thats all you charge, i wish daycare here was that cheap, i want to go back to work but we cant afford 2 where im at the cheapest was 120 a week for my infant then 117 a week each for my 2 boys thats 354 a week and no group discounts and even if child is there part time still have to pay full time price.
    bonnie-jo

Answer by bonnie-jo at 8:58 PM on Oct. 14, 2008

• I am an at home provider myself and I charge $120.00 for full-time and $75.00 for part time. I provide lunch and 2 snacks and educational experiences. I am very sought after, my rates in the area are very low and and my care is excellent! So, no I dont think your prices are unfair, actually I think you are rather cheap! I dont know where you live but I am sure they are getting a bargin!
    emmah_m2000

Answer by emmah_m2000 at 9:09 PM on Oct. 14, 2008