What?!?

What intelligent indiviual would really think that it is normal to teach your children to not tolerate others? Kind of a vent, I have neighbors not allowing their children to play with a friend of mines children, because they are "BAD" but the truth is that if they asked her they would find out that there is reasons for the behavior (medication, and therapy) It just seems cruel!

JoLee12345

Asked by JoLee12345 at 7:48 PM on Sep. 8, 2010 in Parenting Debate

• Those kind of people are the kind of people who raise up serial killers or someone who thinks this world should be perfect and if your less than that than you dont belong.dont worry god will have his say to them one of these days.
    tigergirl31

Answer by tigergirl31 at 4:21 AM on Sep. 10, 2010

• Although I understand your concern, I can see where children pick up inappropriate behavior easily. If they see it frequently and there aren't consequences, they will find it acceptable and mimic it. The younger the children are, the more easily influenced they are. Also I would worry for my child's safety in some circumstances. I don't know what behavior you are talking about exactly, but I can understand why they wouldn't want their children exposed to inappropriate behavior.
    Lifes-A-Dance

Answer by Lifes-A-Dance at 8:01 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• well i can understand you and that is cruel but that just how adults are sometimes they dont want to ask or they just dont knwo about this things. i get that wierd reaction from a lot of people but not where they dont want to play with him but they always give me attitudes about not letting my 2 yr old eat random chicolates or pastries and stuff like that ( my son has allergies) they think if he gets allergies i can just giive him the meds and everythign gets better but they are not here when it happens and my sons skin gets all dried and he is feeling horrible and itchy and it gets hard to breath. they think its my fault for not letting him eat everythingthat now he has ellergies. the same in your situation. they are not informed and in they eyes its just the kids that are "bad" not knowing their is something that is going on and that dont make them any different than othe kids they needs friends too
    Alejandra10

Answer by Alejandra10 at 8:07 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• Although I understand your concern, I can see where children pick up inappropriate behavior easily. If they see it frequently and there aren't consequences, they will find it acceptable and mimic it. The younger the children are, the more easily influenced they are. Also I would worry for my child's safety in some circumstances. I don't know what behavior you are talking about exactly, but I can understand why they wouldn't want their children exposed to inappropriate behavior. "

I agree. It depends on how bad the behavior is. I wouldn't want my son picking up bad behavior if it could be helped.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 8:14 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• the ba behavior is normal kid things! Like name caling o hitting. and yes those things are bad, but they should approach the mother not the chid! It is the parents fault that childre are out of control, not the childrens fault! My child woul never hit or name call, but i have instilledthat in him, .
    JoLee12345

Comment by JoLee12345 (original poster) at 8:52 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• I've never understood it, but I strive to teach tolerance and understanding over just about everything else. Chances are the parents see the behavior as "bad" and are afraid of it "wearing off" so they don't really want to know WHY there is a behavior issue, they just assume and keep going... Is it right to do? No, but it's their right...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 10:12 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• There's always going to be issues to overcome out there. It's best to learn to deal with it now.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 2:28 AM on Sep. 9, 2010

• My son is autistic so yes I would put a ban on him playing with children that hit and name call. But then I think I would put a ban on that anyways just for the simple fact why subject my child to that.
    whoreallycares

Answer by whoreallycares at 5:28 AM on Sep. 9, 2010

• Everyone has their own morales and values. I try not to judge anyone because I know I'm not perfect. But, I agree with you- we need to teach our kids tolerance. There will be kids we don't necessarily WANT our kids to play with, for whatever reasons. But, if you are a good enough parent, it shouldn't matter what kind of kids your kids play with. JMO
    SAHMomOf3

Answer by SAHMomOf3 at 11:53 AM on Sep. 9, 2010

• Tolerance does not mean you let your kids hang around potentially dangerous behavior. It is possible to teach your kids to avoid a kid for bad/dangerous behavior, but not torment them, judge or pick on them because they choose something different from you. We have a couple of kids in our neighborhood that are constantly in trouble and usually take other kids right along with them and my kids are not allowed to hang out with them. However, if I caught one of my kids going out of their way to be mean to them then my kids better believe they are in trouble.
    dance45133

Answer by dance45133 at 12:39 PM on Sep. 9, 2010