I am a technological moron...don't laugh, question about cell phones

My husband and I have always just used "regular" cell phones. We only use them for talking--we don't text or go online or anything else with them. His phone is having problems and needs to be replaced. I keep finding all these "bluetooth" cell phones-what the heck is that? Are they like regular cell phones or does it require additional equipment or fees through our provider? If I get him a bluetooth cell phone, can he just put his SIM card in it and use the same way he's used all his other phones? I'm so embarrassed to have to ask this...I guess I really should try to catch myself up on things. Thanks!

vicesix

Asked by vicesix at 7:52 PM on Sep. 8, 2010 in Shopping

• Bluetooth is a technology to use a wireless headset...You do not pay anything monthly for it it comes standard on most phones now. If you dont use bluetooth it will never bother you, If you choose to get a headset you will have to buy the headset and set it up but i'm sure someone at your local store can help you with that. I sold cell phones for a long time and let me tell you i have heard way worse questions. I hooked up bluetooth headsets for people several times a day when I worked in those stores.
    Finkette

Answer by Finkette at 7:59 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• It is a good idea to call your cell phone provider and ask this question.

Answer by louise2 at 7:55 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• I feel challenged at times too! You are not alone! I had to laugh at your question, bc I call myself Technologically challenged too..LOL Anyway to answer your question, a blue tooth is a hands free device you can connect to your phone that goes in your ear so you don't have to hold your phone like, if you are driving for example here in California it's a law.
    LIFO

Answer by LIFO at 7:57 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• If you have any other cell phone questions shoot me an email I have a whole lot of knowledge about it I worked with them for about ten years. I dont mind helping out if you need it.
    Finkette

Answer by Finkette at 8:02 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• Additionally, bluetooth cell phones allow for wireless or voice music streaming and control as well as Internet use.
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 8:08 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• Don't feel embarrassed because we all have question about something. But to answer your question call your provider and they will help you.
    mamaofficer

Answer by mamaofficer at 8:26 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• Our cell phone is old to and I don't know alot about them, so every now and then I go online to search info on them, just in case. But if you are ready for a new one, calling your cell phone provider or going in to see them would be your best thing to do.GL
    QandA

Answer by QandA at 8:46 PM on Sep. 8, 2010