Is social security going to be around when we retire?

And can you prove your point?

I've seen multiple ladies say that it will.

lovinangels

Asked by lovinangels at 7:55 PM on Sep. 8, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Let's think about this for a minute............this year, 2010, SS will pay out MORE than it RECEIVES.  So, unless they anticipate a drastic  change in the number of people collecting benefits in the near future, I don't see it getting better any time soon. It is operating in the red NOW!!

link from NYT

29again

Answer by 29again at 9:42 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• nope i dont think so, but im only 21 so it will be long while before would be able to draw s.s.
    jhcz

Answer by jhcz at 8:23 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• I really doubt it! I'm not expecting it to be around for me when I retire in about 20 some years.........
    29again

Answer by 29again at 8:28 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• I'm afraid that it might not be. Nothing is secure.
    QandA

Answer by QandA at 8:39 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• I doubt it. We have more and more collecting and fewer paying into the system. Doesn't take a genius to see at some point something will have to give. We have planned our retirement not expecting anything from Social Security. If someone manages to find a way to save the program then we will simply have more money some day. We are not going to wait until 67 (or the age it will eventually be raised to) for my husband to officially retire we are set for him to retire at 52 years old.
    momtolucas2002

Answer by momtolucas2002 at 8:44 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• I don't see how it can sustain, with today's inflation... When the S.S. program came about, the average life expectancy for a baby girl born in 1935 was about 63 years. For a baby boy, it was about 59 years. The program was NOT designed for people to live past the age of 63 and folks are living way beyond 63 years!

People who paid in much lesser amounts to S.S. are living much longer than the gvt. anticipated and what's going into S.S; cannot keep up with what's going out...

agentwanda

Answer by agentwanda at 11:06 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• http://www.nytimes.com/2005/03/17/health/17obese.html?_r=1

http://www.cbo.gov/ftpdocs/104xx/doc10457/08-07-SocialSecurity_Update.pdf

You can look at it two ways.

1. Children who should have been working/paying into the system will be dying earlier therefor not paying for those retired. No money.

2. Post 2043, Children who would have retired at 72 will now be dead at 70 and all the previous old folks would have been long dead. Plenty of Money.

Which one do you want to gamble on? Dying early or Living Broke?

jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 11:37 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• I hope so, or our welfare system better find a way to grow pretty fast.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:56 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• Not according to the naysayers. I'll try to find some more info for you and post later ..
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 7:58 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• probably.... people are pretty much working until they die these days. the retirement age keeps increasing, so i think it will be. but i'm not psychic and there's no way to prove something that hasn't happened yet lol
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 8:04 PM on Sep. 8, 2010