recess time in school

in my state i'm pretty sure the law is 30 minutes of outdoor play for every child each day. (unless its raining or the weather is below freezing) Well my son has just started kindergarten and he has told me that they only get to go to recess when they finish writting their names and their letter for the day and a color sheet...they get timed for it..the students who of course finish get to go strait to recess. He said that today he finished and as soon as he got outside down the steps it was time to come inside and recess was over...he said some kids didnt get to come out at all because they never got finished. Is this fair? I mean..its only kindergarten.

shay1130

Asked by shay1130 at 8:04 PM on Sep. 8, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• That does not sound fair at all.......I mean no kid does anything at the same pace....I would talk to the teacher personally. Hope this helps.
    mama2005

Answer by mama2005 at 8:06 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• idk.... they have a scheduled time for recess at my son's school (he's also in kindergarten). do they have pe every day? that might count toward what you're talking about. at my son's school they only have pe 3x a week
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 8:07 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• I found this quote that should be delivered to your child's teacher... Even prisoners get outdoor time.

Teachers need to remember that children need a break so they can maintain their concentration level. Just like they get their "prep" time, lunch time and a short break. If they had to work all day with no breaks, they wouldn't be productive either. I'd be having a chat with the principal. Maybe at that tender age, he could have homework if he isn't done so he can get that much needed break.
    Lifes-A-Dance

Answer by Lifes-A-Dance at 8:07 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• I also found a bumper sticker that said "Kindergarten isn't Boot Camp for 1st Grade". Why are they pushing our little ones so hard and then allow high school students to run all over with free time and a much less structured day? I wish they would turn it around.
    Lifes-A-Dance

Answer by Lifes-A-Dance at 8:09 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• Yeah Talk to His Teacher.. i dont believe that is how it works for my son, he is also in K.. I do remember it being like that some days at my school when i was a kiddy! but i dont think it is fair just talk to his teacher..
    SammiGirl07

Answer by SammiGirl07 at 8:10 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• no..they do not have PE everyday..this week my son had art two days and music the other. there are 4 kindergarted classes and they rotate between..PE, art, music, and tech
    shay1130

Comment by shay1130 (original poster) at 8:10 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• o well talk to the teacher about it then, but i think he should be able to finish the exercise in the allotted time once he gets more practice

princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 8:12 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• And yes....this is just the beginning of your child in school! I've tried to tell teachers and principals that children need to burn off that extra energy and if they don't get outside to do it, it will show in class and usually not in a productive way. I have told them that my children are not to be kept inside unecessarily and it has to be brought to my attention before doing so. You have to speak up for your kids, because if you don't know one else will.
    QandA

Answer by QandA at 8:12 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• oh..he already has homework too..which is really nothing so far. for him, but i can't imagine if some of those kids are stuggling with writting their names how hard it must be. They must write their names 5 times every night and read a book and keep it documented in their reading log
    shay1130

Comment by shay1130 (original poster) at 8:13 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• If they are providing PE or something similar recess is not required, usually it's looked at as a privilege. I would talk with the teacher, though, it seems that at that age and this early in the year they should not be withholding recess for unfinished work.  A few years ago I worked for a principal who completely believed in recess - so much that even in below freezing weather I had kids outside (bundled up, of course) to walk them around the school and let them "refresh" a bit.  To me this was the extreme, but I also thought it was crazy having more than an hour a day for recess (15 min in morning with a classroom teacher, 40 min at lunch with me and 20-30 min in afternoon with me) by the end of that year I hated recess.  lol

scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 8:13 PM on Sep. 8, 2010