Ivy

So do you think if I planted my ivy at the bottom of a big tree, would it eventually kill the tree?

Rachel24517

Asked by Rachel24517 at 8:25 PM on Sep. 8, 2010 in Home & Garden

• Agree with the PP. Ivy is very invasive and will cover everything, including your tree. If it didn't actually kill the tree eventually, it would definitely hamper the growth and health of the tree. Ivy also likes to grow on houses, which would damage the paint, brick or whatever surface on the outside of the house. I recommend not planting ivy at all, although you might get away with it if planted in a container large enough to keep it from spreading and if you keep it trim. Ivy will put down roots whereever it touches soil or other surface. I personally would not want ivy planted anywhere in my yard. The local hospital had ivy planted in their courtyard; it nearly took over everything, all the flowerbeds, up into the shrubs and covered nearly all the walkways. It can be contained but requires constant vigilance.
    mikesmom65270

Answer by mikesmom65270 at 3:06 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• yes, ivy is very invasive and hard to get rid of. it will take over your lawn and flower beds and eventually it will grow up the tree, but it's not good for the tree
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 8:27 PM on Sep. 8, 2010