how do beta fish make babies??

if they can't be in the same fish bowl, how do they "do it"??

skittles1108

Asked by skittles1108 at 8:39 PM on Sep. 8, 2010 in Just for Fun

• Wow, I never thought of that. Maybe the one fish has both the male and female. I could look it up on the internet, but than it might not be so intriguing.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 8:41 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• two males can't be in the same bowl, but you know the bubbles they put up on the top of the water? that's the bubble nest and that's where the eggs would be kept if there were any lol. the eggs are fertalized in the water and the father puts them into the bubblenest. then the mother splits and the father takes care of them until they hatch. once they hatch, the father may eat them lol
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 8:44 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• I have beta fish. When themale is ready to mate he makes bubbles. Kind of looks like spit in water. You put a mature femake in there with him and he swims around for awhile showing off his colors. Then when they are aquainted, the male wraps around the female to squuze out her eggs. When this is done take her out and put her in her own tank. She needs to heal. He will take care of the eggs and make them hatch. When the babies get of age they too have to be seperated. Its a beautiful thing but it takes work and a lot of patience. The mating process needs to be watched over.
    reigndrops12689

Answer by reigndrops12689 at 9:14 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• I'm pretty sure a male and a female can be in a bowl together....its when you put two males or two females that you get a problem. I know theres is a formula to it....but I have seen two beta in a tank together before.
    Finkette

Answer by Finkette at 8:42 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• It's just the males who cannot be in the same bowl together. Male + female = ok in same bowl and babies!
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 8:45 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• princessbeth79 has already got most of it answered for you. From what I remember reading in an Fish & Aquarium magazine (YEARS ago).......When the male makes his bubble nest, it's time to put the female in the bowl with him, and then he pretty much squeezes the eggs out of her and fertilizes them, and then you need to get her back out of the bowl after that cause I think he might harm her or something, not completely sure. (Like I said, it was YEARS ago, lol)
    BeulahBuford

Answer by BeulahBuford at 8:57 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• Put a male and a female in the same bowl, they'll take care of the rest. Females should not be left in the tank with males after mating.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 11:16 PM on Sep. 8, 2010