What are some of the things you do in your house to try to conserve energy/electicity?

QandA

Asked by QandA at 8:42 PM on Sep. 8, 2010 in Home & Garden

• We use CF bulbs
    we don't use the dishwasher we wash by hand unless we have lots of company
    I hang our clothes outside in the summer and hang them on a drying rack in the winter
    we turn off lights if we aren't in a room
    We have power strips for the computer
    we only have a bare minimum plugged in like the coffee maker, alarm clock, stove, refrig, washer and dryer that is plugged in all the time
    keep the theromstat turned way up in the summer, winter is where it gets me though I hate being cold so I usually have it warmer
    we have a tank less water heater so that doesn't run all the time
    use the BBQ grill if we can
    Moms_Angels1960

Answer by Moms_Angels1960 at 6:27 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• any bulbs that need replacing i replace with the compact flourescents.... we turn the air off downstairs when we go up to bed.... we have solar shades in our sunroom that really cut down on the heat out there..... we have cieling fans...... tell the kids to turn off the lights when they're not using them..... turn off the computer every night.... that's about it lol
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 8:47 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• Turn off the computer when I am not using it. Set the thermostat a couple of degrees higher in the summer and lower in the winter.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 8:49 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• We unplug everything that doesn't need to be plugged in, turn off all lights, and comps at night. Changed the light bulbs to lower watts in the hole house. We also do laundry later in the day, not at peek hours for the electric company. When great weather we hang up our clothes to dry, dryers use alot of electric
    Ruthie170

Answer by Ruthie170 at 9:04 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• CF light bulbs in all lights that will take them. Power strips that get turned off on TVs and their "plug-ins". A front loading washing machine - cold water washes and rinses and hanging laundry outside on good days. A water/energy star rated dishwasher. A timer on the water heater so the electricity isn't running to the keep the water hot when no one needs it. Programmable thermostats.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 9:05 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• Lights stay off during the day (or atleast we try to, doesn't always work with a 2 y/o though lol). A/C or heater (depending on time of year) is turned off when we leave the house. Wash clothes in a couple large loads rather than a ton of small loads. Not really sure if that saves anything or not.
    Apple_Pie2010

Answer by Apple_Pie2010 at 9:16 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• Turn things off that I'm not using when I leave the room. Don't use the Heat/AC unless absolutely neccisary. Make sure the home is properly insulated. That all the windows/doors are sealed and installed properly. You're using energy efficient appliances if at all possible.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 9:28 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• For electricity we have switched out all of the light bulbs for those energy saving spiral ones...
    We make sure that all un-used lights are off...
    As for heating savings, we chaulk all gaps on the outside of the house, put up and double seal
    all of the storms... we also use a kerosene heater during the day several times a week on the
    more colder days so that we can keep the thermostat down which we do keep at 68 all Winter...
    We also use plastic if needed on some windows...
    In the Spring and Summer I hang dry all of our laundry instead of using our gas dryer...
    I only do laundry twice a week to save ... and for most loads it is they are done in cold wash...
    this helps to keep the electric hot water tank from re-heating itself....
    gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 9:35 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• Use a whole house fan in the summer, wood stove in the winter, keep lights turned off.
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 2:45 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• Use water for the laundry.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 8:50 PM on Sep. 8, 2010