Is it polite to register your child for their birthday party?

I have a friend who is ALWAYS asking for everything from everyone. Their DD will be 1 next month and they sent out invitations saying she's registered at 2 places for 'your gifting needs and desires'. They're also throwing another baby shower for their baby due in December and said they won't accept anything but Pampers diapers cuz they won't be able to afford diapers for the new baby. I was fine not saying anything about the baby shower until they sent out the invite for the bday party saying the baby is registered. Personally, I feel like it is rude but want another opinion or two.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:43 PM on Sep. 8, 2010 in General Parenting

• that's a little nuts.

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 8:46 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• tacky tacky tacky.
    sahlady

Answer by sahlady at 8:48 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• Honestly, I wish more people would register for gifts! My kids have a year round "wish list" on Amazon so anytime someone needs to know what they want all they have to do is pull it up... But I don't think the issue here is her registry as much as it's her being "needy."

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 8:48 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• the whole "wont accept anything but Pampers".......... omg......... I think I would have to not go.
    sahlady

• TAAAAAACKY!
    4time-mom

Answer by 4time-mom at 8:48 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• the registering is fine. that is how to avoid dublicates and such but then the baby shower. kind of weird in my opinion.
    lambdarose

Answer by lambdarose at 8:52 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• I just went to a birthday party where the invite came with a registry...Thats just TACKY! I laughed so hard when I saw it....needless to say the kid got what I felt like buying not what mommy wanted.
    Finkette

Answer by Finkette at 8:52 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• i would eliminate her as a friend
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 8:53 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• i think its tacky. gift giving is a fun thing, and the only time you need to be registered for anything is if you are getting married or having a baby. i found it extremly tacky and annoying when someone i know registered their child on amazon for their 1st birthday, christmas and im pretty sure it was easter too. and these werent some chepo 5$ things, these were things that went up to the 80s and 100s range. gift getting is fun for me, its one of my favorite things, and its ruined for me when i have to hunt down exactly what YOU want for a kid that doesnt even get it.
    poshkat

Answer by poshkat at 8:56 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• This is after she just posted on Facebook that she went to Bath and BodyWorks and bought $200 worth of stuff!!!!!!!!!! I hardly talk to her anymore but think I am going to completely stop talking to her because she is starting to become greedy. If they wanted to afford diapers, they could!
    anglgrl03

Answer by anglgrl03 at 9:04 PM on Sep. 8, 2010