Time for yourself vs. guilty thoughts

I am having a hard time...I have the opportunity to have a couple of hours a week to myself while my son goes with a trusted sitter. And I desperately want to take the time, but I am also feeling very guilty about the thought of dumping him off with a sitter just so I can be alone to pursue my hobbies. How do you deal with this conflict?

I am a mostly SAHM - I work, but due to our schedules our son is with a sitter only 2.5 hours per week. He is with me all day and with his dad in the evenings while I work. We purposely structured our lives to insure he was not in daycare, and now I am feeling bad that I want a little time off.

He is 20 mos old. I get very little time to myself because he is all about Mama right now...even if my husband takes him elsewhere in the house to go play, he will seek me out. I haven't read a book or picked up a cross-stitch in 20 months. I am longing for some quiet creative time!

getrealmama

Asked by getrealmama at 8:51 PM on Sep. 8, 2010 in General Parenting

• Dont feel bad all mommys need some me time!!
    davecswife

Answer by davecswife at 8:59 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• Don't feel bad. We all need some time.
    KairisMama

Answer by KairisMama at 9:24 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• You are an individual not just a mom. You DESERVE time to yourself, to be yourself, to pursue things that you enjoy. Your child will be well taken care of and will not mind being away from mom for a couple of hours. Take that time to collect yourelf, enjoy some fresh air, and pursue things that make you happy outside of being a mom. It's okay.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 9:25 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• I promise that once you actually do this you will enjoy being able to find yourself again. My MIL was telling me from day one that I would need breaks. I tried to be super Mom and I did figure out that I need breaks and me time. I actually look forward to the neighbor kids coming to play with my LO for a few hours so that I can breathe.
    coala

Answer by coala at 10:54 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• He really could actually benefit from being away from you. I too am a SAHM, and when my daughter was a little over 2, I put her in mothers day out, which is on tuesday and thursday from 9-2. They have them at Church's. Anyone, during that time I would be able to quilt, clean the house, or take a LONG BATH! LOL. Being an only child she really needed to have children her age to play with on a weekly basis. Now she is 3 and started pre-k3 at W.E.E. School. It's 3 days a week from 8:15-11:30 T.W.Th. Her first full day was today! and she already wants to go back. We now have a 11month old daughter, and while big sis goes to prek I get ot play with her one on one.
    MKSers

Answer by MKSers at 4:27 PM on Sep. 9, 2010