my son is 3 months and he sleeps with me in the bed. he crys constantly when i put him in his bassinet to sleep or if he wakes up and he is in it cries and cries. and watching a child program last nite and some of the people on the show that it is not good for the child to sleep in the bed with the parent. any suggstions? i try

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:52 PM on Sep. 8, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• i let my son sleep in our bed til he was 6 months old. he slept better next to us at that age. i think it's good for little infants to sleep so close to their parents. i suggest a co sleeper. it's not bad for babies to sleep next to their parents. a lot of parents do that and their babies turn out just fine. i agree with above poster don't believe everything you see on tv.
    xavierlogan09

Answer by xavierlogan09 at 9:04 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• well he is very young still but i had my daughter in my bed for months. she was older then 3months though and even now when she wakes she comes to my bed to sleep. it was hard when i was done sleeping her in the bed and then having to pick her up and put her in her crib. i had to let her cry it out. i wouldn;t suggest it with a 3month old but i would try to get him into sleeping in a crib or a pack and play. my daughter never liked her bassinet either. so i used the pack and play before i got the crib. it was more open for her so she slept better. oh you can also get one of those cosleepers that you can put next to the bed. i had a little cosleeper that i would put her in when she was just born. good luck
    lambdarose

Answer by lambdarose at 8:55 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• MythicMMM

Answer by MythicMMM at 9:01 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• We started cosleeping for the very same reason - it wasn't our intention to cosleep, but we all needed to get our rest and that was the only thing that worked. You CAN cosleep safely. When my son was very small I used a sleep positioner thing to keep him in place - the little pad that has bumpers on either side that keeps baby from rolling around. When he outgrew that, I just laid him next to me and I slept with my arm around him so I would wake up if he stirred. It was the best option for us, because I could breastfeed him whenever he wanted it and didn't have to even get out of bed. We liked cosleeping so much that we still do it, and our son is 20 months old now.
    getrealmama

Answer by getrealmama at 9:04 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• My kids sleep in bed with us because otherwise I don't sleep! Even now that my kids are 1 and 3 they still end up in bed.
    OBImomma

Answer by OBImomma at 9:09 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• Remember that parents have cosplept with babies since the beginning of time. Humans are still around, so there's nothing wrong with that method. If you're concerned, try swaddling, changing the mattress in the crib or bassinet, or turning up the temp in your room. Might just be that baby's cold. Good luck!
    BisketLiss

Answer by BisketLiss at 9:13 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• Put the baby to bed with a shirt that you've recently worn. The baby might be more comforted if swaddled. Some babies even sleep better with a whomb sounds bear. You can also try letting him sleep in the swing. Try a positioner to help position him and cradle him so that he feels more protected.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 9:23 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• As far as the co-sleeping deal .. Yes, co-sleeping can be dangerous. The baby can be rolled on, can be smothered, etc. However, there are proper ways to go about it where the baby is protected. With positioners, using seperate blankets from their parents, etc.
    JazzlikeMraz

• Dr Judith Owens, Director of the Pediatric Sleep Disorders clinic at Hasbro Children's Hospital in Providence says "by 3 months your baby is developmentally ready for sleep training . . . keep in mind that the older she gets, the more ingrained her nighttime habits will become. Start by putting your baby in her crib, drowsy but still awake. If she screams, check in after 5 minutes, then ten and so on (whatever interval is comfortable for you) The visits should be brief, boring, unemotional. Expect a burst of loud protest on the first night or two, but it will all be over in about a week, and often in just a few days."
    This is pretty much what I've always heard/thought/followed, but found this in a Parents magazine a few months ago.

Answer by missanc at 9:41 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• When my kids were little, some soft music would put them to sleep.
    CafeMochaMom1

Answer by CafeMochaMom1 at 9:49 PM on Sep. 8, 2010