Do you consider this government assistance?

We are a family of four and my husband makes $63,000/yr. I stay home and raise our two small children. My husband is only offered very expensive insurance at work, where his employer pays 50% of the premium. Since what he is offered for health insurance through work is so expensive, we qualify for medicaid for our children. However, it's not free. We pay a monthly premium of $70 to cover both of our children. My husband and I purchase high deductible insurance on the open market for ourselves. We would probably pay less or the same per month if we put our children on a high deductable plan but we would hurt financially if something catastrophic happened. Our kids only get a yearly physical so I would imagine the state is actually ahead unless something catastrophic were to happen. So what's your opinion? Is this conscionable? I'm really interested in what conservative people have to say about my scenario.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:01 PM on Sep. 8, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• medicaid is government assistance..... i don't really understand your question
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 9:02 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• You are getting government assistance but I dont have a problem with your choice. Why should our children have to suffer?

Roadfamily6now

Answer by Roadfamily6now at 9:04 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• ARe you asking do I think less of you? NOPE. Yes your using our government and that is what you need to do for now.
    mmmegan38

Answer by mmmegan38 at 9:05 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• Yes, it is government assistance. However, there is no stigma attached to using a program like that to be able to afford insurance for your kids. That's what the program is for, and what you pay taxes for.
    stacymomof2

Answer by stacymomof2 at 9:06 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• You qualify so take the medicade especially if it helps your finances. Sorry but, the middle class pays 28% on their income where the folks making $250,000 a year or more only pay 15%. Is that conscionable? Take the insurance and don't look back. Actually, since you are paying for part of the madicade, you really aren't getting it for free.
    momx3gx1b

Answer by momx3gx1b at 9:07 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• i would rather forgo my insurance then my childs....
    pinkdena

Answer by pinkdena at 9:07 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• That assistance is there for people who need it. My family makes less than yours, and it does make a difference, if there is help for everyone then use it, that is what it was created for. Don't beat yourself up for something that is there too help!! Too bad most people don't even know what the state can help us all with, that is usually a well kept secret withheld from us public people who struggle with day to day things.
    Ruthie170

Answer by Ruthie170 at 9:11 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• Health insurance is far too important to worry about where you get it from or whether it's public assistance!! I agree with other posters...you need to provide for your family and you don't have an affordable option. Don't feel bad. You have paid into the system and will continue to do so your whoel life. Taking a little bit from the government, ESPECIALLY when you have small children, is 100% ok in my book. We did it too - we had WIC for a little while and I felt a little guilty, but we really needed the help.
    getrealmama

Answer by getrealmama at 9:12 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• How much is your insurance? We pay 160 every two weeks for a family of five. And we make the same amount you do. That isn't unreasonable.
    Whatkids

Answer by Whatkids at 9:14 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• oh, and if you have to get it that way you have to. You must have insurance.
    Whatkids

Answer by Whatkids at 9:15 PM on Sep. 8, 2010