What's "in" for wedding receptions now days? Open bar, cocktail hour?? Sit down dinner or food stations?

Ittgal

Asked by Ittgal at 9:24 PM on Sep. 8, 2010 in Relationships

• I had a food buffet and did not have an open bar, but had a whiskey sour fountain and free beer. Didnt want to have an open bar bc didnt want people to get wasted.. lol.. Everyone seemed to enjoy it though. :)
    xxMasonsMommaxx

Answer by xxMasonsMommaxx at 9:27 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• I went to a wedding where there was nothing but snacks and an open bar. Lasted 6 hours. We were really full. You could have these snacks at food stations or waiters and waitresses walking around with trays.
    momx3gx1b

Answer by momx3gx1b at 9:28 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• Open bar and food stations, or midnight buffets.
    QandA

Answer by QandA at 9:28 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• All of those things are "in". It's what you can afford too, don't put yourself in debt just for one day. Seriously, keep it real as to what you can afford, what your parents can afford if they are helping. Having a bunch of money to buy a house is seriously more important on some things from a wedding. Like, ours was open bar....coctail hour??? uh....they drank and had snacks (however you spell hor dourves LOL) before the wedding party arrived. But the beer and liquor were the same through the whole reception. And for the food, I guess that just depends what you like or if the venue provides those things.
    2BlondeBabies

Answer by 2BlondeBabies at 9:29 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• We have come up with a "special" mixed drink in honor of the bride and groom. I was thinking a cocktail time for about an hour and a half. As the base chapel is close the reception and we'd need something to do with the guest while the bridal party has photos taken. Then we were thinking just beer/wine afterwards.

Having hard time deciding what to do with the food.
    Ittgal

Comment by Ittgal (original poster) at 9:30 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• i just went to a pot luck wedding rec... it was interesting!!! people brought food and drinks to a hall the couple rented and the couple supplied the cake and siliverwear/plates. the theme was thanksgiving (they met at a potluck party for thanksgiving) they were going to have it in nov but shes preggo and due in nov lol
    pinkdena

Answer by pinkdena at 9:31 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• I went to a "candy" reception a few weeks ago. It was really cute. Very victorian themed with the candies in "milk glass" containers, cotton candy, salt water taffy, caramel apples, etc...
    karamille

Answer by karamille at 9:35 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• I think anything goes these days... just like with first dances and father/daughter dances. We had a buffet (chicken, roast beef, rigatoni, green beans, potatoes, salad bar... etc), it was a dry wedding, and we had so much fun!! It just proves that you don't need alcohol to have a good time! But, like I said- I think it's just dependent on the taste of the two people getting married. You gotta do what suits you.
    SAHMomOf3

Answer by SAHMomOf3 at 9:43 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• Wedding planner here... It really varies. Mostly, Open bar and either a served or buffet style dinner is still the most popular, but there are so many other options now... Depends on the couple mostly...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 9:43 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• Loving all the comments keep 'em coming!!!
    Ittgal

Comment by Ittgal (original poster) at 9:45 PM on Sep. 8, 2010