How do you deal with conflict?

Let's say... between family members (example: Your sister (or brother), and your aunt). They are putting you in the middle of a stupid argument, but you cannot remove yourself from the situation. What is the best way to deal with it. Here are the circumstances: These two members will NOT speak to each other. They are speaking through other members in your family. Both are calling you on a daily basis. One is asking for advice, the other is bashing the other person. How is the best way to deal with it?

SAHMomOf3

Asked by SAHMomOf3 at 9:33 PM on Sep. 8, 2010 in Relationships

• There isn't a such thing as not being able to remove yourself from the situation. They are adults and can handle their own conflict. If they refuse to handle it in a civil manner like adults then they don't have to speak to one another. However, you do not have to be apart of that situation. If I were in that situation I would say to them both "Grow up, handle the situation with [enter name] and move on. I'm not going to be the mediator for you two anymore." If they have a fit, then so be it, but they need to grow up and handle it on their own.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 9:37 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• I tried that... now other members of my family are calling me about what's going on, so I'm still not entirely removed.
    SAHMomOf3

Comment by SAHMomOf3 (original poster) at 9:39 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• Tell them both you love them, but you will not be put in the middle of the situation, becuase it is their problem. They need to work it out themselves. It's always bad to allow people to put you in the middle of something, because then one or the other will accuse you of taking sides. Just politely back out.
    GenieBean

Answer by GenieBean at 9:39 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• Just tell them it's not your argument and you'd rather not get involved. They are putting you in the middle of something that's of no concern to you. Tell them to be adults and take care of their own problems and you'll take care of yours. Tell them it's making you feel uncomfortable bec you don't have a problem with either one, and you just want to remove your self from the whole affair.
    MyAngel003

Answer by MyAngel003 at 9:41 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• Tell your other family members to keep you out of it as well. You don't need everyone else's stress and pettiness. You have your own problems I'm sure. Everyone does.
    GenieBean

Answer by GenieBean at 9:42 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• I would tell them to Work it Out Themselves & Grow- Up!
    daisyb

Answer by daisyb at 9:54 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• I would just tell them to leave you out of it it is their problem not yours you can only do so much the only reason they come to you is bc you are giving them attention. I bet you shut them out all goes away. IMO
    Butterfly1108

Answer by Butterfly1108 at 10:02 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• I would tell them both "work it out between yourselves"

Answer by admckenzie at 10:37 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• Deal with the problem head on
    mamaofficer

Answer by mamaofficer at 10:44 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• This is exactly why I avoid family as if they have "The Herp"!!!
    FeelinYummy

Answer by FeelinYummy at 11:11 PM on Sep. 8, 2010