Tattoo question-I don't know what category this falls under

I just got a tattoo on my ankle and its oozing plasma so its really slimy and bloody. Can I wash it yet or wipe it down with a wet cloth/ paper towel? Its been about an hour. Thanks everyone.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:11 PM on Oct. 14, 2008 in Just for Fun

• An hour is too early to wipe it clean... although if its really bothering you i would go back in to the tatooist. I have a foot tatoo, and it was pretty ugly for a few months. Then it went aways and looks beautiful. the skin is so thin on the ankle and foot that it heals differently than others. be patient, wait another few hours then wipe it clean, I wouldnt wash it till the next moring in the shower. it will heal. if you are worrines go back to the Tatooist.
    Anonymous

• Blot it with a dry paper towel the put more A&D ointment on it (or whatever type of ointment) and don't cover it. It will ooze for the first day. Tomorrow will be very different.
    EireLass

Answer by EireLass at 8:15 PM on Oct. 14, 2008

• you should wipe around it if it's that bad for now but they say you should keep it covered for 2-3 hours..so therefore wait two more hours then dab it gently with a warm cloth n you should be fine...good luck
    amiyamom

Answer by amiyamom at 8:15 PM on Oct. 14, 2008

• I'd wipe it, but make sure the cloth is just damp, not soaking wet. Don't scrub at it at all- just wipe gently. Try to avoid immersing it in water until it is mostly healed. What'd you get?
    jluvskija

Answer by jluvskija at 8:15 PM on Oct. 14, 2008

• You can wash your tattoo as many times a day as you wish and as soon as you wish. I used dial anti-bacterial liquid soap and then kept them moist with a thick udder balm ( I cannot remember the name but it came in a green metal tin). the oozing is pretty normal and should stop in a day or two. If you still notice oozing and the area gets very tender and red you could have an infection. Just keep it clean and moist, you should be fine.
    efsuermann

Answer by efsuermann at 8:16 PM on Oct. 14, 2008

• um, they should have told you to keep a bandage on it for a few hours... My tattoo artist uses clean, sanitary absorbent papers (like what is under meat you get from the grocery store)

yes, you can wipe it. Use something soft. it's gonna sting. so go with a nice soft wash cloth.

use a non-scented lotion after the oozing stops.

do not use vaseline, it will pull the ink out.
    Anonymous

• efsuermann- it's called bag balm
    jluvskija

Answer by jluvskija at 8:17 PM on Oct. 14, 2008

• Go back to the tattoo place and show it to them and ask them what to do...something doesnt add up tho.. .they should have told you what to exactly do...
    Anonymous

• Oh just you wait till it starts itching!
    MamaLion82007

Answer by MamaLion82007 at 9:20 PM on Oct. 14, 2008

• Thanks for all the advice everyone. I got my husbands name on my ankle. My cousin is my tattoo artist and I forgot to ask if I could wet it yet. He did my other two tattoos but they were small and didn't get all slimy. Thanks everyone.
    Anonymous