If your child is sick, do you stay home with them or send them somewhere?

If your baby/child is sick, do you stay home with them or send them to the sitters or wherever else? My nephew (who is hardly 12 months) had a fever of 104 and was very sick with an infection and she still sent him to his grandparents. It's not something I would do, personally. What about you?

jessica1219

Asked by jessica1219 at 9:45 PM on Sep. 8, 2010 in General Parenting

• I stayed home but I was/am a SAHM.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 9:47 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• Sending them to the grandparents is a bad idea. Especially with that high a fever. I don't know how old the grandparents are, but their immune system is generally more susceptible to infection. So not a great idea.

Either DH or I stay home. Most of the time its me.
    SalemWitchChild

Answer by SalemWitchChild at 9:47 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• We would figure it out and one of us would stay home.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 9:48 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• It depends. We possibly get fired if we call in 9-12 times w/in a year. I try to use my days conservatively. For sure, no raise if you call in 9 times in a year. Some ppl have to do what they have to do. In my career field no employer is flexible.
    KARRIEMARIE

Answer by KARRIEMARIE at 9:48 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• I am a sahm so I am always at home with them even when they are sick but personally if they were that sick I would stay home if I was working.
    mama2005

Answer by mama2005 at 9:55 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• When I worked DH and I took turns staying home if DD was sick. I am home now though.
    KairisMama

Answer by KairisMama at 9:57 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• I wouldn't send them anywhere. When I was little and my mom couldn't stay with us she sent us to SOS (Sniffles, ouchies and Sneezes), it is a daycare for sick kids run by nurses so that parents can work when the kids are sick.
    coala

Answer by coala at 10:04 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• It really depends on how sick my child is. My MIL lives nearby and doesn't work. When my son was a baby she kept him after I went back to work until he was 1. He may have gotten 1 ear infection and ran a fever, and I still sent him to her. When he turned 1, he started going to an in-home daycare center, and obviously, I couldn't send him there if he got sick. I think he came down with a couple of colds after he started going to the babysitter's, and my MIL was willing to take him since he couldn't go to the sitter's but his fever was relatively low. Now, when he got a horrible stomach virus, we kept him home with us obviously. At the time, our jobs weren't very flexible. Now that DH & I have both changed jobs and can work from home, we would stay home with our kids if they got sick. If for some reason we couldn't (meetings or travel), and they weren't too sick, I would send them to MIL as a back up plan.
    Journey311

Answer by Journey311 at 10:18 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• I have a good support system. Where I work, it is a hardship on everyone when someone calls in sick. My husband can work from home if he does not have a meeting, my mom (my children's very young grandmother) does not have a compromised immune system and is a nurse, only works part time and will pitch in. If not one is available, then I will call off.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 10:37 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• When the girls were little either hubby or I stayed home with them always. I would not dream of sending my kids to stay with someone else when they were sick. They are already miserable and should not be carted off, they should be at home where they can be most comfortable.

scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 10:45 PM on Sep. 8, 2010