If you saw a mother in the passenger seat breastfeeding WHILE the car is moving...

what would you do? I saw this yesterday and wondered this. Everything in me wanted to do something I me if they were even rear ended that baby could be hurt or killed right? I i the end did nothing and now I wonder if I did the wrong thing. Or did I do the right thing minding my own business :/

But_Mommie

Asked by But_Mommie at 9:56 PM on Sep. 8, 2010 in Parenting Debate

• Just pull over nothing is worth the life of your child. I would have called the police with the license plate info.
    dance45133

Answer by dance45133 at 12:33 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• Well, what do you do when you see people driving down the freeway with kids bouncing around their back seat? If they don't value their kid's lives enough to at least go through the smallest efforts to keep them safe, why should anyone else?

I've been there, done that with the screaming baby in the back seat wanting to nurse.... it's NOT difficult to just pull over for a few minutes.
    coder_chick

Answer by coder_chick at 10:04 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• That IS a big deal. What if she wasn't feeding the baby, just holding it there on her lap? Would you still think it's ok? NO WAY. I have a son that nursed every hour on the hour for the first 4 months. We pulled over EVERY time, even on long road trips...even on back roads. That is just plain lazy. Yes I would have called it in. I have.
    I worked at Starbucks and there were many instances where parents came through the drive thru with a baby in the passenger seat, or a child sitting in an unbuckled carseat. Every time I called the police they tried to track the car down and I called EVERY time. If I saw it on the highway, damn right I would call.
    jenellemarie

Answer by jenellemarie at 10:20 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• idk, it's difficult since i suppose you were driving too right? i guess you could call the cops with the plate number if you saw it. other than that i don't think you could do anything. yes, the baby would definitely be killed even if they were tapped and the airbag went off.

princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 9:58 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• A baby not in a carseat is illegal, period. Doesn't matter if she is breastfeeding or not. If baby needs to eat, you pull the damn car over. I would have called 911 personally.
    getrealmama

Answer by getrealmama at 10:07 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• Yes she should of at least breastfed the baby in the back seat. Its wrong to have the baby our of the car seat, but those babies start crying and you just thing... UGH!!!!!!!! I will just breast feed them really quick... But it doesnt explain her in the front seat... Not that any of it it right...just saying...
    35yoamom

Answer by 35yoamom at 10:01 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• What would I do?? Honestly, I would think the same thing I think when I see kids unbuckled in the back. "What an idiot, I sure hope nothing happens to those kids". I also wonder why we allow just any idiot to have kids when we require people to have a license to have a dog.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 10:31 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• Baby should be in the car seat - period. It is possible, however uncomfortable for mom, to breastfeed with baby in the car seat and mom in the back seat - I know this because I've done it.  I'm sure I looked like a crazy blanet-covered blob, but it worked.

scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 10:40 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• I would have called the police. How did the baby get in the front seat in the first place? Did they move it while driving (which seems even more dangerous)? Or did they stop and move the baby? (And if they did that, why not just feed the baby wherever they stopped? If the car is moving, the baby needs to be in a car seat.
    jilby

Answer by jilby at 1:39 AM on Sep. 9, 2010

• I would think "Ugh, I remember those days and having to make those choices- hope it all goes fine" Really, not the best thing in the world, but not the worse and I would not consider calling 911.
    soyousay

Answer by soyousay at 9:01 AM on Sep. 9, 2010