Does my 3 year old need friends?

Please don't mock my question. My oldest daughter just turned 3 in August and she has a 1 year old sister. When she was younger before we had her sister we had playdates though a playgroup every so often for socializing. After we had her sister last summer we became more housebound, especially after her sister was diagnosed with a health issue in which it's riskier for her to get sick with even a common cold. We haven't put our 3 year old in preschool this year because of that. We just started her in a park district dance class. She had a bit of a hard time following directions so far but overall liked the interaction. We don't have many neighborhood friends her age.
Do you think the lack of friends at age 3 is a big deal? I plan to put her in preschool when she's 4 if her sis is doing ok. Our situation is just hard right now and I'm doing my best but get worried.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:22 PM on Sep. 8, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• being that you have a different situation, I would say no its not necessarily a BAD thing. But you may find that she has some difficulty interacting with children her own age in the future, but its nothing that can't be worked out. Good luck!
    stressedmomma13

Answer by stressedmomma13 at 10:26 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• i have a 3 year old and im having a hard time finding parents around here with kids her age!
    Its also hard to find programs or fun things for 3 year olds to do.
    SunShineMoMM

Answer by SunShineMoMM at 10:28 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• I guess this really depends. You are around your child more and know how she is developing. My daughter is 3 and she loves kids. I have found play dates in previous places I have lived and am in the process of finding some in our new area. We have some neighbor kids that are slightly older than her and she can't wait for them to get home so she has someone to play with. But she is an only child and I can't say if having a sister would make a difference. It could since there would be someone other than me to play with. :) You need to do what you feel is best for both your kids. :)
    kayleighsmom529

Answer by kayleighsmom529 at 10:29 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• We are in a similar situation. We opted to go ahead and do preschool because socally the older one really needed something just for him since everything had revolved around the baby with the health issues. So far our 1 yr old with the health issues has faired really well with illnesses brought home by the older kiddo - I think that my be due to me being sick as a dog the entire pregnancy with every siffle the older one brought home. He must have gotten a decent amount of immunity from me. =P
    karamille

Answer by karamille at 10:42 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• I don't think she'll be effected by it. Genearlly most children don't have much social interaction on a regular basis (with kids their age) until they're in preschool or especially kindergarten.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 10:50 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• i wouldnt do anything that puts your other child at risk....even if it means that you 3 year old may have to learn to be social when she enters kindergarten....you can always let her teacher know of the circumstances....its better to be safe thatn sorry right?
    cassie_m

Answer by cassie_m at 11:18 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• i think that it is important to treat your kids as normal... and don't get me wrong, i understand health issues... my 3 year old has 3 congenital heart defects... it's scary when she gets sick... but i feel that it is important that she AND her healthy sister are not treated as anything less than normal children.
    i would ensure that if you aren't going to do a preschool that you get her out and about into different things, like a library story hour, swim lessons, etc. i understand the worry of getting sick, trust me... but you can't lock both kids, and yourself in the house forever... you have to take some risks. .. if you join a summer program with your 3 year old, find a sitter for your youngest, or pick and choose if you want to stay after you assess the "health" of the other kids in the room.
    asil

Answer by asil at 12:36 AM on Sep. 9, 2010

• I am sure she will be fine. As hard as it is to NOT question everything we do as parents, try in this case to take it easy on yourself. My daughter was not invovled with kids a lot until recently and she is almost four. She is doing well and although she has had small issues here and there getting along with others, it is nothing too major. But if you are very concerned, is it possible that you take her to Sunday School on Sunday mornings (if you are a okay with church of course)? Maybe that might help her stay in contact with other kids.
    Peajewel

Answer by Peajewel at 9:01 AM on Sep. 9, 2010