Reading vs. listening to books

I love reading. But dont have enough time to be sitting around reading as much as id like too.
Ive never listened to a book.
Im curious if listening to a book while working out/walking is as good & entertaining as reading?

MommaTasha1003

Asked by MommaTasha1003 at 10:41 PM on Sep. 8, 2010 in Entertainment

• the only time i've read a book was when i was a kid, a radio station had a specific time where they'd read a series of books. at the time i had no idea they were books...but it was very interesting. it was a young teen book, so the reader was very good at keeping it interesting, making the voices the right pitch and everything so you could imagine exactly how it was. i hated it when it came up the end and it was "tune in next time"...so when i found out they were books you bet i high tailed my butt over to the library and got them all LOL, i finished the series way before the radio did. although it was interesting, i've tried listening to books since then, i checked one out at the library once and it was so boring, and i read faster lol. I like to imagine the faces and voices of the characters myself, so on audio it kinda ruins it for me. i hope that makes sense and i answered your question...
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 10:58 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• I've honestly never listened to a book... But being I'm an auditory learner, I would think an audio book would be better for me...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 10:43 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• I really LOVE to read. I downloaded the Kindle app - FREE - on my phone. That way while at the gym, I can read while on the bike, elliptical or treadmill.

There is really nothing like a REAL book, but for the gym, the Kindle App works best for me
    Maureen-MD

Answer by Maureen-MD at 10:44 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• i love reading but would rather listen to music while im active.
    otoole

Answer by otoole at 10:48 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• It's very different to listen to a book...I have always preferred reading real books but like you, there isn't always time or opportunity. You have some great options to try audiobooks for free - libraries always have them, in tape, CD, and also in their own MP3 players - you just provide your own headphones. You can also download free audiobook files onto your computer, and put them on your IPOD. I am currently listening to "The Secret Garden" every night while laying in bed, and I really like it! I fall asleep faster, and I get to enjoy the story during a time where I am not likely to be disturbed.
    getrealmama

Answer by getrealmama at 10:48 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• Not as good as reading, but a nice way to pass time when reading is impossible- we listen to books on tape on all our long road trips.
    mamahobbit

Answer by mamahobbit at 11:09 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• Personally, I would rather read the book than listen to it. But, we do use books on tape with our daughter who enjoys being read to (she's 11).
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 11:31 PM on Sep. 8, 2010