Sewing machine

I am tired of using my mothers all the time so can someone recommend a fairly decent priced (cheap, lol) but good quality one?

Jademom07

Asked by Jademom07 at 10:44 PM on Sep. 8, 2010 in Hobbies & Crafts

• I'm going to send you the hand out I give my sewing students. Hope it helps.
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 7:43 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• Check Craigslist or ask around your family for an older hand me down! THe newer machines in the cheaper range are crap, they will only frustrate you! I recommend finding an older one for cheap or free and having it tuned up at a repair shop. I sew almost every single day on a Necchi from 1983, it beats anything I could get brand new for under $200-300.
    iloveconan

Answer by iloveconan at 10:49 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• I bought an inexpensive Janome Magnolia after years of using old, crap machines (Singer, Ricchar, even an ancient Necchi!)- it's been wonderful to FINALLY be able to get through a sewing session without broken needles, jamming thread, poor tension, etc. etc. Wonderful machine! I needed something sturdy enough to handle my kids learning on it, and my own... well...rough usage (I sew a lot of costumes, with odd thickness & fabric combinations. I've burned up a number of machines over the years!) Janome was recommended by our 4-H leader who has been a home ec teacher in a big public high school for the last 30 yrs.- I figured if they can withstand those stunts using them, then it would hold up for me! !
    mamahobbit

Answer by mamahobbit at 11:07 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• If you don't mind used, look on CL for a good brand (janome, bernina, even ooooold singers-early 80s or older). If you want new, Janomes are great machines and you get the most bang for your buck. You can get a hobbiest level Janome in the $250 range and it will be a nice, sturdy machine. It won't have all the fancy stitches but will have METAL parts and that's what's important. You want a METAL machine. The newer singers and brothers and kenmores (and other cheaper brands) have PLASTIC moving parts and they will break.

I'd talk to a mom and pop sewing store and tell them your price range and what you want to sew and they can make a specific recommendation for you.
    LuckyPlusOne

Answer by LuckyPlusOne at 10:44 AM on Sep. 9, 2010

• Sears offers layaway now. They sell nice sewing machines at a good price, and they will have a warranty. I think the layaway is over 8weeks. I hope your search ends with a nice machine to call your own!
    babyboyzz

Answer by babyboyzz at 11:21 PM on Sep. 8, 2010