for Christians with little ones...under 5...that do morning devotions

How do you do it? when do you have the time, how do you get them to sit through it? i have a 2 and 3yr old...i have a hard enough time having them sit quietly in church, especially together, and i'm wanting to start devotions with them in the morning, but ds has to be at school at 8am, so we're rushing out the door, since they're late sleepers i wake them at 7, which is very hard in the first place...so i'm just wondering how, when, and where you do this? or did you just do them on your own until they got older? also, what books do you use? any recommendations? thanks :)

armywife43

Asked by armywife43 at 10:47 PM on Sep. 8, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• I do not incorporate my girls into my devotions yet. They are 2 and almost 5. I get up at 6 every morning, get ready, and do my devotions. My oldest gets herself up at 6:30-6:45 and then we get a move on as she has to be at school between 7:45-8 am. We do prayers at night, but that is it..my oldest goes to private Christian school as well as AWANA so she gets a lot of Bible time. I plan on waiting until they are a bit older and can really participate by having discussions about the books and verses.
    mcginnisc

Answer by mcginnisc at 10:55 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• I am not Christian, but I would think that until they can sit quietly for the period of time you need them to, it's sort of pointless to bring them to church. Unless of course there is a kids room or nursery or somewhere else they can go be kids while you are doing your thing. I realize religion is important to you, and you can teach your kids that too, but it's so hard to expect too much from little ones before they are ready. They will just hate going, and I am sure you dont' want that.
    getrealmama

Answer by getrealmama at 10:56 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• I've got a 2 1/2 y/o, 1 1/2 y/o and 6 month old. We've just been reading the Bible every morning at breakfast. My husband doesn't really eat breakfast, so it works well, he reads while the kids and I eat, and we usually end up talking about what was read. The kids are a little young to understand or anything at this point, but it won't be too long before they'll start to get something out of it.
    dedicatedrider

Answer by dedicatedrider at 10:57 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• getreal, well on sunday morning they have sunday school while we have service, and wed. they have children's church while we're in service. sunday night is the only time they don't have anything for children, so that the whole body of the church gets to hear the word of God. I don't make them sit there and listen, during worship time we sing and clap, praise and worship God, but when the pastor starts preaching, that's when i break out the coloring books and quiet toys. my oldest can be quiet, but my 2yr old can be loud, but put them together and they're either excited and loud or fighting over a toy or something. either way, they're loud lol. so dh and i try to keep them seperated, one of them sit my me, the other by him. it works :) also, you teach them when they're young, like next year, ds may have to sit quietly for 15 min before he can play with toys, and gradually go from there.
    armywife43

Comment by armywife43 (original poster) at 11:06 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• We don't do family prayer in the morning. I have a 18month old and a 6 month old. We do a family prayer at every meal and then 15 minutes before bed. We try to involved them as much as possible. My son (18months) helps to light the candles and blow them out. He tell us who he wants to pray for and hold the icon of Jesus so his sister can "kiss" it. We also use a lot of Christian colouring sheets and board books for the kids to keep the busy during church. I don't believe the you should pull your kids from church unless they are making a HUGE fuss. They need to learn how to behave and they won't if they are always in the play room (IMO)
    Involve your kids the at their level. Sing worship songs in the car in the morning or colour pictures of Jesus or the Saints. A devotional doesn't have to be deep, it can be as simple as reading a picture book about Jesus with your kids. Make it easy for them.
    tobys.mommy

Answer by tobys.mommy at 11:08 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• Even if your little ones had a coloring page and scribbled on a pic of Jesus or something..it's still teaching them something...I just read from the Bible and they will understand it one day..my 6 year old LOVES it..the 3 year old just listens and colors while I read. We all end it with holding hands and saying a prayer for the day.
    Mommyof3yippey

Answer by Mommyof3yippey at 11:21 PM on Sep. 8, 2010