Affirmations...

Seriously, every "self help" or "personal growth" book I read talks about Affirmations... And they all talk about how they will help with depression (I have BPD2). So I would like to learn more... What in the hell are affirmations? How do they work? What do you do? I mean sitting and saying "I'm awesome" to myself not only feels really weird, but just doesn't seem like it could really work long term...

I do daily devotionals and meditate (although I would like to be more consistent with this part), and I though affirmations could be a good addition... But I just don't understand them.

Help!

Asked by SabrinaMBowen at 10:59 PM on Sep. 8, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• I don't do self help at all. But from what I understand: Affirmations are positive things you tell yourself outloud everyday or every time you have a particular problem along with some other exercise (breathing, meditating, whatever) The idea is to counter negative thought patterns and help change your way of thinking. I could be wrong or missing something.
    NikkiMomof2grls

Answer by NikkiMomof2grls at 11:13 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• Meant to say "deep breathing" not just "breathing". LOL.
    NikkiMomof2grls

• From what I understand, they are positive things that you tell yourself daily, or write to yourself daily, like NikkiMom said. For me, when I started trying Affirmations, I would write them and say them sometimes. I made mine very specific (like when I started thinking I was going to fail, I would say, "I am perfectly capable of making an A on this paper/test/quiz and I WILL.") They're so weird at first, but after a while they start to kick in naturally when you're being hard on yourself. I'm sorry if I'm doing a bad job of talking about them, but my brain isn't working at all today.
    Mrs.BAT

Answer by Mrs.BAT at 11:51 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• well its more than just saying good things about yourself. for me i have a "go to list" of positive self talk for when im having a panic attack (i suffer from GAD). but there are deeper forms of affirmation that include what you want to be, reminders of how you want to behave, etc. there are some great websites w/ helpful affirmations. (http://www.psych-net.com/affirmations.html is one of my favs).

i usually focus on an inspirational quote that i think will benefit me. i meditate on how i can incorporate that inspiration into my everyday life and benefit from it. it seems a little silly at first, but its really helped w/ my anxiety in social situations.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 11:51 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• I do mine in the morning, sitting on the edge of my bed. I close my eyes, breathe, and say out loud, "I am the goddess. I am the Magick. I own the Power." Affirmations are some saying that you use to remind yourself of your inner divinity and your marvelous humanity. You may pick a certain one that speaks to you in some way. It is something to inspire you to meet the challenges of the day that is before you.
    witchqueen

Answer by witchqueen at 11:51 AM on Sep. 9, 2010