How can I get my son to stop biting this little girl at school? I'm tried spanking, timeouts, positive reinforcement, taking away computer privileges, etc....We've talked to his teacher and that the only problem he's having. Sometimes his attention wanders, but she said that is normal for a kindergartner who hasn't attend day care or preschool. Any suggestions

Sillymama530

Asked by Sillymama530 at 11:13 PM on Sep. 8, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• bite him back? dont bruise or break the skin or anything but showing him that it hurts might make him not want to do it again?
    cassie_m

Answer by cassie_m at 11:15 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• His attention wanders and that's because he's been home,and not preschool, or daycare??? lol That's the biggest load of crap I've ever heard. He's being bad, period, and bad behavior deserves conequences, and that may involve making him stand at the wall every day for 5/6 minutes after school until he figures out what he's doing is wrong. Make him do it everyday for a week, tell him if he doesn't straighten out, that he will continue to do so until he can show you and his teacher he can be nice to others. Tell her to keep him in at all recesses for a week also. No fun period until he realizes that bad behavior means he has to earn the things he likes to do back. He's old enough to understand that.
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 11:26 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• hmm bump and gl
    san78

Answer by san78 at 11:11 AM on Sep. 9, 2010

• I definitely would not tell his teacher to take away his recess. That could make it worse considering that is a time of day when children finally get an outlet for physical aggression and energy. I would speak with the teacher to help come up with a suitable and IMMEDIATE consequence at school for the biting.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 11:25 AM on Sep. 9, 2010

• Ask the girl to BITE HIM BACK!
    35yoamom

Answer by 35yoamom at 4:51 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• My answers would be the same as above. I used to bite on things like paper and sand and rocks etc... I have read that could be lacking something in diet. Try these other things above with consequences but as backup give him multivitamin as well couldn't hurt to try it.
    Mariejen

Answer by Mariejen at 9:34 AM on Sep. 10, 2010

• Give him something else to bite on.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 1:38 PM on Sep. 12, 2010