Changing the Constitution adult content

If you, one person, had the ability to change or remove 1 thing in the U.S. Constitution, what would it be? I don't mean add to as an ammendment, but to completely remove something or add something. It can be anything. Lets pretend that you had the backing of the supreme court, congress and the president, and all you had to do was think of the 1 thing. What would it be and why?

Sillymama530

Asked by Sillymama530 at 11:17 PM on Sep. 8, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• For me, I would completely eliminate the electoral college. If we were a pure democracy, we wouldn't need the electoral college. If it was more about what "the people" want, then it should be by popular vote.
    Sillymama530

Comment by Sillymama530 (original poster) at 11:19 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• The original, or what we have now?

In the original .... nothing.

In today's ... the 16th amendment
    Gal51

Answer by Gal51 at 11:47 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• Unfortunately, I can't remember any of the amendments (*holds head down in shame*) however, I would add a limit to how long senators and representatives can hold a term. I don't think a person should be allowed to be in office for twenty plus years that's insane and it doesn't allow room for growth or fresh ideas! If the president have a term limit the senate and house should have the same.
    JusNikki

Answer by JusNikki at 1:09 AM on Sep. 9, 2010

• I would ban the burning of the American flag
    SophiaofLight

Answer by SophiaofLight at 1:26 AM on Sep. 9, 2010

• OP,

If you got rid of the electoral collage then only New York & California, the most populace states would be picking our president. The rest of us in fly over country might as well just stay home and not bother to vote. Since New York & California always vote for the democrat candidate in overwhelming numbers, we would always have a democrat president. And that is the reason democrats want to get rid of the electoral collage.

Natesmom507

Answer by Natesmom507 at 1:55 AM on Sep. 9, 2010

• Sophiaoflight,

The burning of the Flag falls under free speech, do you want to get rid of the first amendment?

Natesmom507

Answer by Natesmom507 at 2:06 AM on Sep. 9, 2010

• I would emphasize the Supreme Court's duty to adhere to the Constitution, and underscore that the Supreme Court is supposed to be very weak compared to the power of the ELECTED officials who have LIMITED terms of office.
    waldorfmom

Answer by waldorfmom at 3:43 AM on Sep. 9, 2010

• I would say change the electoral vote. Because it seems like you lose your vote with it and why vote if your vote is not counted any way and also do we not all have the right to vote? So shall we all have the opportunity to have our votes counted?

tyme4me2day

Answer by tyme4me2day at 9:34 AM on Sep. 9, 2010

If that is what you want, then we never would have passed civil rights, gays would never have a chance of gaining the right to marry, there are just sooo many issues that would have never come to light if we lived in a true democracy. Be careful what you wish for, we are not a true democracy for a good reason.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 10:32 AM on Sep. 9, 2010

• I would phrase the definition of citizenship to say that any child born in the US to parents illegally residing in the US would NOT be a US citizen.
    tinamatt

Answer by tinamatt at 12:54 PM on Sep. 9, 2010