3 y/o DD isn't getting enough to drink, unless she uses a sippy cup.

Has anyone else had this problem? She doesn't drink as much because she no longer has her sippy cups to carry around. Her urine smells and is darker than it obviously should be....how can I encourage her to drink without her using a sippy cup?
I had a cup in the fridge that she could get at anytime and she wasn't doing it, but as soon as I put a straw in it she was GUZZLING her drink! When she does just drink from the rim of a cup she loads her mouth up with whatever she's drinking, then swallows it from her mouth.....????

CABlonde

Asked by CABlonde at 11:19 PM on Sep. 8, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I drink like her. I get it in my mouth, then, swallow. LOL

Just offer her the cup every so often during the day.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 11:21 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• Leave a sports bottle with WATER out on the table or her high chair so that she knows it is there for her when she wants a drink
    Maureen-MD

Answer by Maureen-MD at 11:22 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• i wouldnt worry about taking the sippy cup. hydration is way more important than the transition there. my four year old still uses a sippy. she can use a cup but the sippy is cleaner and she can pack it with her as apposed to a regular cup which she has to stay at the table with, so she just uses regular cups with meals and her sippy is filled with water the rest of the time.
    cassie_m

Answer by cassie_m at 11:22 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• Just keep offering her a regular cup and put a bendy straw in it. Definitely make sure she's getting water over anything else so she doesn't get dehydrated, and offer it to her at meals and snacks. Eventually she'll get the hang of drinking from a cup, but if you think she's getting dehydrated, getting fluids into her is more important right now.
    Journey311

Answer by Journey311 at 11:24 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• i agree with the sports bottle. or go let her choose a thermos that has a straw. my son has a disney's Cars one. he's been drinking from a regular cup since he was 2, my dd, 2, drinks from a regular cup at meal and snack time. she still uses a sippy, but she only ever gets to use it is when we're having to eat in the car for some reason, like if they're hungry i have snacks in a bucket in the car, or if we go on a picnic. ds gets his thermos at those times and he uses it at school. other than that, if they're thirsty they come and ask me for something, they sit at the table and drink it. they know they're not allowed to walk around with an open cup. I think it helped that when they did drink out of sippy's, i very rarely let them walk around with it, i had them sit at the table or sit on the floor with them.
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 11:40 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• we still allow sippy cups around the house, real cups are for snack and meal times... my girls (3 and nearly 2) have no issues drinking from either... it just works for us.
    i see no issue in letting your LO have a straw to drink from here and there to ensure she gets enough to drink.
    asil

Answer by asil at 12:33 AM on Sep. 9, 2010

• Practice, practice, practice. She'll get it. And just be sure to offer her water more often.
    3boysandmekmcd

Answer by 3boysandmekmcd at 6:22 PM on Sep. 9, 2010