need help with bedtime!

I can not get my kids to go to bed and stay in bed-ever! We try to do the same time every night, it doesn't work-- we try a routine, it doesn't work... we read books, give baths and try to keep things low key and it does not work. Sometimes we yell, it doesn't work, we ask nicely to please stay in bed- it doesn't work. My boys are 6 and 4 - they share the same room so I know its hard for them not to mess around -BUT- night after night going through this is exhausting! Please help!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:21 PM on Sep. 8, 2010 in General Parenting

• You need to stand firm. Tell them that the sun has gone to bed and that means bedtime for them too. Do not tolerate any talking, playing or getting in and out of bed/leaving the room. If the continue to disobey, tell them the next time they get out of bed, or they next time you have to come up to their room to hush them, there will be NO TV the next day. No TV also mean NO Video Games since they are played on the TV. The key is to follow through on the punishment and to make sure you husband is on board too. It should only take 1 or 2 NO TV punishments for them to realize you are serious and get with the program. They are testing you, and it is a test you can not afford to lose
    Maureen-MD

Answer by Maureen-MD at 11:26 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• When I was having trouble with our now 8 yr old, when he was 6, not staying in bed, I brought him in the living room, made him stand at the wall. I made our other son, he was 5 at the time, stay in his bed, he wasn't the one causing the problem. Our 8 yr old would complain he was too tired to stand there, I told him if he was so tired he should have went to sleep instead of goofing around. He quickly realized that being tired and standing there every night for about 3 nights was not fun... I had to stand by him the first night, then he knew I was serious. I'm a firm believer in nipping it in the bud right from the start. He never did it again, and it's been a peaceful bedtime routine for the past 2 yrs...
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 11:31 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• you could always make them stay up on like a friday sit them on the couch and make them stay awake it worked when i was a kid thats all i got good luck
    rachel_07

Answer by rachel_07 at 11:53 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• Look at super nanny website for her techniques. One is that the parent sits on the floor of the bedroom, near the door, and says nothing but puts child back in bed if they get up. It is important to not say anything and be consistent
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 8:32 AM on Sep. 9, 2010