How do I know if baby is okay?

I am a type 1 diabetic. I am currently 13 weeks and 5 days pregnant. Ive had 2 prior MC and Im really hoping I am doing everything right. Ive ended up in the hospital 3x already because of low blood sugar. How do I know the baby is okay thru all of this? I would like to recieve more ultrasounds but my Dr. will on;y preform 2. One to calculate gestation and the other one at 20 weeks to determine sex of baby.

BabyC2011

Asked by BabyC2011 at 11:26 PM on Sep. 8, 2010 in Pregnancy

• then you should find another doctor. most state insurance programs will only cover 2 in a normal low risk pregnancy, a high risk pregnancy should be more closely monitored and insurances will cover for that. ask your doctor if you are high risk? ask him about the risks with your diabetes and the pregnancy? find out why he wont do another u.s
    cassie_m

Answer by cassie_m at 11:30 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• I think that blood test would more accurately determine if the baby is alright over an ultrasound. I am sure if he thought that it was necessary he would schedule more but he probably sees no reason for it.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 11:31 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• yes he says im high risk and is thinking of probably referring me to a dr in Miami as I live in the florida keys. he did say that i would have more NST's and that I could always do an amniocentesis.. but i dont know if i wanna go that far. Ive had 2 ultrasounds done already. The 1st one was done at the hospital when i was admitted for a bad kidney infection and that was at 7 weeks. The 2nd one was done at 9w4d just so that i could have a picture. he still charged me for it but there was no medical reason to have it done so i have to pay 3600.00 for it out of pocket. Im suppose to get on the insulin pump, which i already have one, just waiting for the supplies, but then he doesnt know anything about it at all. hes the only high risk ob we have down here so he is the only one that i can see. i dont know what else to do!!
    BabyC2011

Comment by BabyC2011 (original poster) at 11:36 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• guess you really dont need repeated sonography..all u need is adjusting your blood suagr levels and maybe measuring also urine glucose by specific strips..don;t worry many ladies are diabetics and they have a perfectly healthy baby just rest assured , avoid stress and have a healthy diet along with ur insulin inj..also I wouldn't recommend amniocentesis..just for the risks of infection it carries
    nance209

Answer by nance209 at 11:43 PM on Sep. 8, 2010