Should McCain question Obama's "connections" and affiliations during the debate?

I am wondering what you all think. Does it matter to you who Obama is connected to; past or present? Does Bill Ayers and Obama's connection matter, even though Ayers never apologized for his strong Anti-American actions and dialogue? Does it matter to you that Obama has voted 97% with Democrats? The same Democrats (Frank and Dodd) who said Fannie and Freddie were fine a few years ago?

grlygrlz2

Asked by grlygrlz2 at 8:46 PM on Oct. 14, 2008 in Politics & Current Events

• Yes, he should. Then Obama can clear it up. I wonder why he didn't bring it up in the last debate if he thinks it's such a key issue?
    MAUREEN55

Answer by MAUREEN55 at 8:48 PM on Oct. 14, 2008

• I think it matters because it shows Obama's judgement "trend". WHen talking about the economy, Barney Frank, Chris Dodd, and Nancy Pelosi~ SCARE me. Having Obama in the White House worries me. He seems to agree with his party and not neccesarily STAND UP for the American people. I haven't found much in the way of showing that Obama stood up against his own party for the greater good of the American People, no matter the consequence. That again comes back to the judgement. At that 3am phone call "moment" might he rely on the wisdon of Democrats or will he do what is right for the American People as a whole?
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 8:50 PM on Oct. 14, 2008

• MAUREEN55 : THe way Brokaw was asking ans monitoring the time, I don't think there was a "right" time to do it... Tom B had a tight schedule and wouldn't allow much deviation...
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 8:51 PM on Oct. 14, 2008

• yes I really hope he does question them. but doubt he has the guts to do it publicly. he only does that behind t.v. ads.
    ny.chica

Answer by ny.chica at 8:52 PM on Oct. 14, 2008

• and at the sam etime he can explain this, that someone posted earlier....
    T"he Washington lobbyist John McCain has named to head his presidential transition team aided an influence effort on behalf of Iraqi dictator Saddam Hussein to ease international sanctions against his regime.

The two lobbyists who McCain aide William Timmons worked closely with over a five year period on the lobbying campaign later either pleaded guilty to or were convicted of federal criminal charges that they had acted as unregistered agents of Saddam Hussein's government"
    ny.chica

Answer by ny.chica at 8:55 PM on Oct. 14, 2008

• ny.chica:

I think that this a good point. 

However, I have to say This article you are mentioning was posted by Huffington Post.~A highly liberal "blogosphere". It would be like only listening to MSNBC for your news. One sided without all the facts. The article also goes on to say that, " Timmons previously told investigators that he did not know that either Vincent or Park were acting as unregistered agents of Iraq. He also insisted that he did not fully understand just how closely the two men were tied to Saddam's regime while they collaborated."

So, I think this should be cleared up immediately. 

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 9:07 PM on Oct. 14, 2008

• he keeps saying he's going to go after him so we'll just see if he does!
    heatherama

Answer by heatherama at 9:23 PM on Oct. 14, 2008

• I think he should. Then Obama can easily counter with McCain's own connections and affiliations, particularly McCain's long-time support for ACORN including his role as keynote speaker at a rally in February 2006. I'd also like to hear about the things McCain's aquaintances might have done when he was 8 years old so I could judge him accordingly based on the behavior of adults he didn't know when they did something wrong. I'd love to ask about Palin's own crazy preacher, and McCain and Palin's own associations with so-called "domestic terrorists." I think that would be a conversation worth having, and definitely worth watching.
    bluecrayon

Answer by bluecrayon at 9:53 PM on Oct. 14, 2008

• McCain could question Obama's connections but most voters seem to be more concerned about pocketbook issues. Of course, Obama could bring up some of McCain's shady connections, but he is trying to run a different kind of campaign. I think most Americans are tired of the divisive politics of the past 16 years. It all started with Gingrich and DeLay--thanks fellows!!
    purplehaze440

Answer by purplehaze440 at 10:45 PM on Oct. 14, 2008

• If he brings up Obama's connections, then Obama should bring up McCain's. All's fair in love and war, right?
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 12:21 AM on Oct. 15, 2008