How can I change my son's last name?

I am seprated and have been since Oct. 2008. I'm filing for divorce and want my ex to have nothing to do with my son, he's not a good person AT ALL!! I want to change my son's last name from "his" to my maiden name. Has anyone ever done this? Do you know how I would go about it? What should I do??

Mom2Dano

Asked by Mom2Dano at 11:40 PM on Sep. 8, 2010 in Relationships

• in that case the first answer is correct I hope it all works out for you and your child you are right enough is enough
    chica1965

Answer by chica1965 at 3:29 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• unfortunately You not wanting him to be in your childs life is not an option . He has parental rights under the law . You have to make peace with it and not use your child to hurt or punish him . I am not bashing. just speaking as a neutral party . I don't think you can change his name without a good reason and I think you may need his aproval . I am sorry things seem so bleak right now they will get better in time I am sure .
    chica1965

Answer by chica1965 at 12:22 AM on Sep. 9, 2010

• I think that you would go to the court house and file paper work
    Babygirl46342

Answer by Babygirl46342 at 11:45 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• It's not that I want to hurt him or punish him, he left and I don't know where he is and we haven't seen or heard from him in a long time. I have the right to terminate his rights on the grounds of abandonment and could have done so Oct. 2009 because it had been a year since we saw him, but I was hoping he would grow up and come back and be a father to my son but he didn't and it's been almost 2 years now. The last time I heard anything from him he threatened me & told me he would rather sign over his rights cause he didn't want to pay child support, he had better things to do with the money. :( I always wanted him to be a part of my son's life even if we weren't together or neccessarily getting along, because it's not about us it's about a little boy who needs a dad in his life. But he didn't want to be a part of anything. I've been raising my son on my own since he was born. I just think enough is enough.
    Mom2Dano

Comment by Mom2Dano (original poster) at 11:45 AM on Sep. 9, 2010